When to add chicks.

Kirmi8

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Canada (Prairies)
Hi all.

I have a mixed flock of 16 leghorns that will be 2 years in April/May and 6 EEs that will be just a year this spring and some BYM that just turned a year in the fall.

Obviously the leghorns are my best producers and I'm just wondering how much longer I can reasonable expect them to keep producing? My biggest question is when do people start adding "replacement" chicks/hens to their flock? Like if I did chicks again this spring, would that be good timing to anticipate then the be laying when the leghorns are slowing down?

I don't have plans to cull the older ladies at all as long as they are happy and in good health, but I'd like to keep up egg production. But I also can't have a million chickens as much as I would like that.

Would it be best to just add 5 or so new birds per year? And that would cover losses? And not cause me to overcrowd?

Looking for input and thoughts on how you all have done it and what is ideal or gold standard for flock maintenance. Thanks!

I think that is a good plan. 5 or more a year will keep you in eggs. Your current birds will all molt this autumn at which time production will completely cease till they recover or even till well after winter solstice when pineal glands detect longer days. Getting 5 pullets now will start giving you eggs when the others quit.
Another thing to do is to start hoarding eggs in August for the inevitable dearth of eggs to come. Unwashed in a sealed, refrigerated container, they'll last 3 months.

How many chickens will your current housing setup hold?
I have 39 currently (including 1 rooster and 4 bantams).

My coop is approx 120 sq feet with plenty of vertical space as well (12 ft peaked roof?). And probably 300 sq feet or more of outside run. There didn't seem to be any crowing issues over winter this year but it has been a lot of work keeping it clean with so much poop this year. I just had the 17 leghorns the previous winter. But it didn't seem to be enough birds to keep it warm in there. This year it didn't dip below -20 even on the coldest -45 days. And I have cozy coop heaters for them by the roosts as well.

So, I guess long story short, I don't know how many more I could reasonable fit in there 😂. I'm kicking myself that I didn't just take my friends additional 6 Wyandottes and 4 gold laces polish...but I was worried about space over winter; I think I could have handled them...lol.

If you want egg production to go thru winters, you need new layers every year.
Timing new chicks can be tricky, even when you use supplemental lighting.
I used to get new chicks every year and slaughter older birds each fall to make winter spacing good.

I have 39 currently (including 1 rooster and 4 bantams).

My coop is approx 120 sq feet with plenty of vertical space as well (12 ft peaked roof?). And probably 300 sq feet or more of outside run.
That's tight spacing, especially during harsh winters.

This year it didn't dip below -20 even on the coldest -45 days.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1646262204059.png

You can cheat in the summer time with your numbers, but come winter, you really do need to have the number of birds fit your set up. I think it was good that you didn't take the friends birds, you have birds that age.

By adding chicks, you have a true multi-generational flock. I think those are the best flocks, I am always striving to keep that. I do cull older birds, and add younger birds.

If you get too many old girls, you might offer them for sale if you can't put them down yourself. A lot of people want one or two birds, for a few eggs, and not mess with chicks. It is an idea.

Mrs K

If you want egg production to go thru winters, you need new layers every year.
Timing new chicks can be tricky, even when you use supplemental lighting.
I used to get new chicks every year and slaughter older birds each fall to make winter spacing good.

That's tight spacing, especially during harsh winters.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3011413
Hi - western Canada - updated. I've enjoyed having the heritage breed mixed girls this winter as they actually will come outside when it's nice. I put tarps up along the sides as a wind block and made sure to put straw out for them. We've had a lot of mild weather this winter, which is weird, but the girls enjoyed it and I had the coop opened up often.

I haven't noticed any bullying or behavioural concerns from them. Everyone has space with several different roosting areas and they kept each other warm. And I try to provide some enrichment for them as best I can. But yes, if I could, I would provide more space. I wasn't expecting chicken math to grab a hold me so badly. I want one of everything hahah.

I have supplemental lighting as I don't have glass windows and they have been laying fairly consistently all winter, but have slowed down significantly in the last week. Which is okay, but curious to me why the slow down now.

I guess I am totally okay with freeloaders, and probably just want to replace as I have deaths from whatever it may be. I'm not keen on the idea of culling then after they've worked so hard for me; but I definitely understand and appreciate why it is a necessary part of livestock management.

Perhaps maybe I should just see if I get a broody girl this spring and try and let her hatch some...but then that leaves the possible rooster problem 🤦‍♀️😂.

You can cheat in the summer time with your numbers, but come winter, you really do need to have the number of birds fit your set up. I think it was good that you didn't take the friends birds, you have birds that age.

By adding chicks, you have a true multi-generational flock. I think those are the best flocks, I am always striving to keep that. I do cull older birds, and add younger birds.

If you get too many old girls, you might offer them for sale if you can't put them down yourself. A lot of people want one or two birds, for a few eggs, and not mess with chicks. It is an idea.

Mrs K
Yes, that makes sense as far as ages go. I just love those breeds and it was a good opportunity, but I was worried overwintering that many extra birds (I had already doubled my flock and wasn't sure if I could manage more). But the bantams don't take up any space, so they don't count as 4 birds in my books hahaha. But I think that even if I don't have any losses between now and winter, I can easily and safely handle 5 or so more ladies.

But maybe I should wait for next spring. But the baby chick fever is kickin in really bad already 😂.

Thanks for your comment Mrs. K. You always have great advice! I especially appreciated you comment on a different thread about "solving for peace in the flock".

Back
Top Bottom