1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to add Duckilings to existing flock??????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xfilesnumber1fan, Apr 25, 2009.

1. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I have 5 full grown ducks 4 hens and 1 drake..3 mallards and 1 crested and 1 pekin,,,I have 6 baby mallards in the brooder 2 weeks old and not related bought at TSC ,,At what age do you introduce them into the flock?? How do you go about it so no fighting happens.....Thanks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's what I did. My grandma found 2 huge (2 1/2' x 4') wooden window screens by a dumpster. When my daughter's duckling was 6 weeks old, I used those screens and some blocks to make her a little cage in their pen in one corner. I also put a portable cage in their house. I put the duckling and her friend ( a rooster) out in the cage that was in the pen during the day. I had a little wooden gate thingie that I put on top to keep her friend in and provide some shade. At night I moved them both into the cage inside the house. They were visible at all times to the others. After about 5 or 6 days of this, I went out after dark and put the duckling and her friend to bed in the house but not in the cage. They all woke up together the next morning with no problems and have been together just fine for the last 2 weeks! You'll have to give yours time to feather out before you can try this though. I hope this helps you out.

3. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Thanks...I wasnt going to try anytime soon,,,Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by