When to add nesting materials to boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyShunshyn, Jul 7, 2011.

1. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    Our girls are only 11 weeks old but i am wondering when i should add nesting materials to the nesting boxes?
    They are not showing any interest in the boxes that i have noticed but they are allowed to free range during the day when I am home and i worry that they might just start finding suitable places in my flowerbeds if they don't see that there are nice places in e coop.

Should i go ahead and add straw ro the nest boxes? I am sure I will have to clean it out a few times before they actually start laying but I want to show them that they have a nice cozy, safe place to lay INSIDE not out in the yard somewhere on our 4 acres!

I have read that it isn't good to give them the nesting boxes before they are laying so they wont just sleep in them but I dont know.

Any Ideas?

2. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Mine slept in the nest boxes and now as they are getting closer to laying I am having to break them of the habit, so I am sealing off the nest box in the evenings.

3. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    I dont think that is a problem for me....everynight they are all up on the roosts or a few are still huddled in the corner of the coop...silly girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by