When to add the chicks to the rest of the flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redhd077, Jun 15, 2011.

1. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I have a question about adding some 7 week old rhode island red to the rest of my flock. I have 12 hens that are mostly 1yr but i have a few that are older. Then I have 2 roosters that are 1yr and the other is a few yrs old. Im not to worried about the hens, but i am the roosters! They are big guys...1 barrock and 1 golden sexlinx. So what are you thoughts? also my flock is free range during the day...how do i go about doing it when i but the 7week old in? will they just follow the rest of the chickens? do i leave them all lock in together for a few days?

2. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Hi. Be very careful with the babies. I've heard on this site from another subscriber that if they are still peeping then don't let them in with the big guys/gals. I just let my Silkie back into the flock with her four babies but she's there with them hence it did go smoothly. Perhaps you should seggregate them within the coop and house where the big ones can see the babies and get used to them. I think they will be picked on and perhaps hurt if you let them in.

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Hi:)

You should wait until they are big enough to defend themselves.

I personaly would put them with the others right now, in a blocked off section of the coop.

They can go ahead a be socializing, and getting to know each other. Once they are big

enough to realease, you shouldn't have a problem. I would release them at night. It's

much easier, in my own experience. Good luck:)

4. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I have them in the same coop, but a diffrent room. We converted an old 2 room house into a coop. I have the 7 week old in the back room with the door closed. I have let them out with the big chickens for 10 or 15 mins while im in the coop. the big hens have kinda pecked them once here and there, but thats it. I don't know how i could go about blocking it off so they could see each other. Durning the day i put the 7week old outside in a little pen, but with the big chickens being free they don't bother to go to the little pen. So how old do you think they need to be?

5. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Everyone has different experiences, but if they have been living in a separate area of the coop and have had some "free" time with the flock without obvious bad consequences, I think it might be ok to put them together now. I've had surprisingly little drama when integrating chicks into the flock - ESPECIALLY if they are chicks who were hatched/raised by a hen who is a member of that flock, even if they were separated while hatching etc.. I keep my broodies separate until the chicks are starting to feather out, then start letting them in with the whole flock, and there is usually no problem at all. They do have LOTS of space, and the chicks have a good mommy who looks out for them...

6. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    Quote:These chicks were store bought, so no mama. I have added 2 other hens and a rooster to this flock and they haven't minded it at all, but the chickens were all "adults". This is the first time I have tried to add younger hens to the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by