1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when to adjust incubator heat for hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickgarden, Mar 1, 2017.

1. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    I tried searching for this on here, but wasn't able to come up with anything (could have been searching for the wrong wording). I'm on my first try at hatching chicken eggs. I've got a still air Hova Bator and I'm turning them 3 times a day. The directions said to monitor the temp because as the eggs start to develop they will produce their own heat and that the incubator heat may have to be adjusted.
    I've had the temp around 100 but this morning it looked like it was 102 - but this could be because the door was closed and the heat in the house had come on.
    My question is, around what day should I be noticing this natural increase in temperature? Right now I'm on about day 4.
    BTW they are Silkie eggs if that makes any difference.
    Thanks!!

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Since your incubator is a still air you want to get the temp 101 to 102 taken at the top of the eggs.

Some will drop the temp by 1 degree at lockdown til they hatch. I usually don't I leave the temp where I incubate them at. If eggs generate their own heat it will be in the last few days after the chick has formed

1 other thing that will effect the temp somewhat is what humidity are you running?

Most of the time the instructions on humidity are usually way on the high side. That will be a bigger concern than some small temp variations.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    What he said.

You don't usually see a rise in incubator temps due to the developing chick until the last week of incubation. At that point they do start producing more body heat and you may see a slight increase in the temp. I think a lot of it depends on how many developing chicks you have in there. Smaller batches shouldn't really affect it that much.

I don't adjust down either at lockdown. I totally agree with the comment on humidity recommendations being too high. I use a low incubation method the first 17 days and monitor my air cells. (Which I highly suggest.)

Room temps fluctuating, lights/sunlight shinning on the bator, and like feedman said humidity going up or down will all affect the bators temps.Is your incubator 1602N model?

4. chickgarden

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks! Yes it's the 1602N model. The humidity is staying at about 40 percent. Does that seem like a good number? I know at lockdown it needs to be higher. The temp seems to be between 100 and maybe 102. There are just 15 eggs. We are planning to try candling them this weekend.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Most hatchers that I have talked to that used that model, (in honesty, any hovabator) have been satisfied. For my standard sized eggs I like 30%, for my silkies I need 40-45% I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

6. suliah

suliah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    Just to check... you are not going by the temp on the actual incubator are you? I hatched only 4 of my first batch of 30 because I was using the incubator thermometer. Got a digital cheap one that I put in the incubator for my second hatch and hatched 17 of 22... The digital was also clearly different from the incubator one.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    the 1602N is not digital, you have to have your own thermometers. Did you use the Little Giant digital?

8. suliah

suliah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    I just bought the cheapest humidity sensor/temp sensor on amazon and stuck it inside... I could look down through the window and see it.

9. chickgarden

Apr 1, 2012
    Amy Lynn Thanks for the link! Good information in it! If I went by what the manual said for humidity and filling the tray they say the humidity would barely be 20 percent. I bought a temperature and humidity monitor that I leave inside along with a thermometer on top of the eggs.

Suliah I'm not going to raise the temperature. I'm afraid to adjust it right now in case it goes way to high and I'm not here to check.

I think if I do any more hatching next year I'll invest in the turner. Trying to remember to turn the eggs three times a day gets tricky :)

Thanks for all the help!!!!! I sure hope when we candle we will see some signs of life :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by