When to assist…. Hatching in progress… need help

Poultry mum

Crowing
Jan 22, 2021
Australia
I’m hatching my very 1st lot of chicks was just wondering when to assist…. I have one little silkie egg that has been rocking and shaking and peeping for nearly 24hrs but has only made a very small chip in the egg… I can see some of the white membrane but little chick seems to be struggling a bit…

ive already had 3 hatch with no problems…
if you need photos let me know…
I have also sprayed the eggs with a bit of water as the membrane I can see was starting to look a bit dry and brownish…

I’m hatching my very 1st lot of chicks was just wondering when to assist…. I have one little silkie egg that has been rocking and shaking and peeping for nearly 24hrs but has only made a very small chip in the egg… I can see some of the white membrane but little chick seems to be struggling a bit…

ive already had 3 hatch with no problems…
if you need photos let me know…
I have also sprayed the eggs with a bit of water as the membrane I can see was starting to look a bit dry and brownish…
So long as it pipped at the rounded end of the egg give it minimum 24 hours from when you saw the pip in the shell before considering helping.

So long as it pipped at the rounded end of the egg give it minimum 24 hours from when you saw the pip in the shell before considering helping.
Needed to assist… little chick now doing fine… although we had a close call after ”she” burst one of the vains…. But she’s out now and fluffing up snuggled with the other 3… 😁 thanks for the help… that was my very 1st assist too.. lol

Needed to assist… little chick now doing fine… although we had a close call after ”she” burst one of the vains…. But she’s out now and fluffing up snuggled with the other 3… 😁 thanks for the help… that was my very 1st assist too.. lol
Congratulations on your new little one! Hopefully it will give you many joy and plenty to do during the lock downs. My parents are in Sydney and bored out of their minds, lol.

Just a note that if there are still veins to burst, then it is likely the chick isn't yet ready to be helped.

That said, I just had two hatch before the veins fully receded and was zipping through the remaining veins like no body's business. the small bleeding didn't seem to faze them, so I guess most of the time they know instinctively when they are ready!

Now all we need are cute photos of your babies!

Congratulations on your new little one! Hopefully it will give you many joy and plenty to do during the lock downs. My parents are in Sydney and bored out of their minds, lol.

Just a note that if there are still veins to burst, then it is likely the chick isn't yet ready to be helped.

That said, I just had two hatch before the veins fully receded and was zipping through the remaining veins like no body's business. the small bleeding didn't seem to faze them, so I guess most of the time they know instinctively when they are ready!

Now all we need are cute photos of your babies!
Yes I will post photos up soon… need help working out the cross breeds..lol…

Back
Top Bottom