When to assist with hatching

Hannahf4

Hatching
Jun 24, 2019
Hi... I was wondering if I could get some advice, total newbie to hatching. I have 4 Indian rubber ducks currently in the lock down phase. They have been in the incubator for 30 days now. The first one externally pipped on Sunday morning, the rest were within the next 24 hours or so. The first one still hasn’t hatched, he’s made progress but not as much as I thought he would. I can see his beak etc but it’s now been over 50hours and I’m starting to panic that it’s stuck as it looks like the membrane is drying out and now wondering when and if I should assist? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Hannah

If you take tiny bits of shell off and it bleeds then you need to stop. I put aquafor on, some use coconut oil to gently rub on the inner membrane that is showing. There is a hatching assist article on here somewhere. There is also you tube videos.

By Indian rubber ducks ... I meant runner autocorrect.
I have studied that article for the last few weeks, so I have been quite dubious to intervene at all and risk complications. One of them has a little bit of blood on the membrane/shell where I guess he’s touch a vein. I pulled a little bit of shell off the one that pipped first and can see a few veins further down so I’ve popped it back and left it alone, and now I’ve wrapped them in damp kitchen roll and hoping it will help them as I’m guessing if the veins are still visible it’s still not ready? I’m just feeling like 30 days plus pipping for 50hrs seems like an awfully long time. Incubator was set at 37.5 and humidity at 60.
Hoping Mother Nature does it’s thing now.

Thanks for your help, I have one duckling out (the one I was worried about) yolk was completely absorbed thankfully.. he was slightly stuck to the membrane by the cord for a little while but it’s now out and drying off.
1 down, 3 to go!
Thanks again for the links and advice to all!

We have 2 ducklings now! 1 unfortunately died over night, he chipped all the way round but didn’t seem to make it out unfortunately, yolk and blood was all completely absorbed. Anyone have any ideas why that happened so I know for the future (if I ever take on this anxiety filled project again!!)
We’re just waiting for the 4th now!

Back
Top Bottom