When to Bath Before Poultry Show

blueheeler1998

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
My daughter is showing in two poultry classes at our county fair. She has showed Rhode Island Reds in the past, they were nice and clean so she didn't wash them. She cleaned out the fluff, wiped them with a silk cloth, cleaned their feet, trimmed their beaks and nails, and polished up the feet, waddles, combs, and beaks.

My question is about her cornish cross broilers. How many days prior to the show should she wash them. She has to have them to the fair four days prior to the show. There is no access to heated water at the fair. Other than the bath, are their any other tips anyone could give me. She hasn't shown broilers or white chickens before. Thanks

i showed cornish cross at my county fair for 4 years, we washed them the day before taking them to fair in a tub of water and used whitening soap(blue soap) and then dipped them in a tub of vinager to get the soap out of them. when u pick pairs to show, pick eaither two roosters to go togeather or two hens and make sure ur pairs are close in weight. weigh them the day before and pair them up. we put colored bans on there feet so we could tell which pairs were witch, and only bring the ones ur showing. make sure not to bruse the wings. be very careful when handleing them, make sure they dnt flap there wings. and the day before she shows take away food and wather and dnt feed them till after the show or thell throw up all over hur, u have to hold them upside down in the show. hope this helps. if u have any other questions just ask.
smile.png
ps. id weigh them before washing them so u only wash the ones ur taking, oh and dnt get there face wet, wash it with wipes, and right before show go over them with wipes, make sure theres noo poop on them. good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Our fair only allows cockerals in the broiler show, so she has her best six penned together. She takes her best four. They are all within 2 oz. of each other in weight, so she should have pretty uniform birds to choose from. Thanks again.

Quote:
x2 This is what I read. Also, return them to a clean coop with fresh pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom