when to butcher?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Straubby, May 19, 2010.

1. Straubby

Straubby Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    new hampshire,ohio
    i have a pair of cornish rock chicks about 6 weeks old they are fattening up quite nicely but i have been trying to finish out a bag of chick start and grow before buying a flock manager feed for everyone. should i let them eat a new feed for awhile or just give them another week or so,i've heared 45 days for cornish but dont know if its true. any opinions?

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    It's usually between 6-8 weeks. I'm at 5.5 weeks and I plan to go by the birds. My little birds will probably live to 8-9 weeks, my larger ones may be butchered at 7. I'm watching to see how well they do. If ones starts to hobble around, it'll be butchered. I started out with "chick starter" that only had 20% protein, now I'm using a locally milled mash that has 21%, and I plan to keep the flock on it until laying age. So, basically, do whatever works for you.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Butcher them when they are a size you want. Figure 75% dressed weight. I feed start/grow all the way to the end.

4. Straubby

Straubby Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    new hampshire,ohio
    I cant believe how lazy they are i watched one just kind of roll over on its side today i think it was dust bathing but it just kind of slowly tipped over then layed there for a few then rolled to the other side they evn lay down to eat LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by