1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

When to buy chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Redhead Rae, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere! Premium Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    When should I order chicks through the mail?? I want to get some LF Cochins and a few other breeds. I want them to start laying before the end of the year, so I want to order soon, but it’s been so cold this year. I’m afraid the poor little chickies would freeze before getting to me. Should I just hope for the best and order them or hold off?

FYI, I live in WV and I’m ordering from Cackle.

2. fawndane

fawndane Songster

Oct 7, 2017
    I personally would hold off until weather is warmer. If you are afraid of baby chicks freezing, that should answer your question. Baby chicks that are just a couple days old are very fragile, they are still fuzzy and do not have enough feathers to keep them warm.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    But go ahead and order them now to guarantee you get the breeds you want when you want.

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I'd wait and check the weather forecast, hoping for an Indian summer in Missouri and in WV. Can you order chicks and request for specific shipping dates? I understand some hatcheries let you do that.

ChooksNQuilts and fawndane like this.
  5. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I am going to order from Cackle. I think they will let me request a date, but they can't guarantee the date. The only chicks I got from them were ordered on a Tuesday and the shipment was sent on Wednesday because I requested them ASAP. I wanted to raise them with chicks I had ordered from a breeder and they were ready for me a month before I was expecting them.

6. fawndane

fawndane Songster

Oct 7, 2017
    Cackle will let you request a ship date, I’ve ordered from them twice.

7. K3nzi3

K3nzi3 Chirping

Sep 24, 2017
    Overton, NV
    Wait until your weather warms up, and when the weather warms up from where you are buying. You can always try hatching eggs as well. I've always ordered for the beginning of fall, but I live in a really hot climate. (southern NV)

8. Sassysouth

Sassysouth Free Ranging

May 12, 2016
    Decatur, AL
    For sure. I looked on MPC the other day and lots of their dates are already sold out. Order now and pick your date.

9. fawndane

fawndane Songster

Oct 7, 2017
    The only thing is with picking a date ahead of time, it is never a guaranteed date. You could end up getting the chicks way too early or way too late. I always order around the time I want to get chickens, when the weather forecast is good, and I have the supplies in order to care for them. Certain breeds don’t matter to me, but I understand that not everyone is that way and other people may want certain breeds that sell out quickly.

chickenE likes this.
  10. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    The Cochins don't sell out that quickly I think. I was looking at them during the summer last year and they still had them. Some of the breeds I was looking at (Dark Cornish and Isabel Leghorns) sold out within 5 days of them opening the 2018 for sale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by