when to buy chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by boston3381, Dec 15, 2009.

1. boston3381

boston3381 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    hi all, im new to chickens.. im trying to plan out my chickens and coop so everything hapens around spring and have eggs buy mid summer...i live in rhode island.

im going to start the tractor coop with a large detachable run so its easy to move around in mid january. i have a very large yard.

so my question is, when should i get my chicks or should i buy adult ones???? im looking to get 6 hens 2 Rhode Island, 2 Plymouth Rock, and 2 Star.. (this may change but it still will be 6 hens)
    i all so have a spot in my house for raising chicks if need be.

P.S. if any of you live in rhode island or mass. and have or know where i can get chicks or adults locally.. it whould be much appreached<---did i spel that right??? [​IMG]

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    All the feed stores where I am begin ordering at the end of March (getting them in at the beginning of April). I've never had an issue of getting day olds in April and not having them lay by mid summer so if you don't absolutely need them at the very beginning of summer (eggs that is), April is fine.

ETA: appreciated;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. boston3381

boston3381 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    april sounds fine to me.the eggs are for me and my family ..what abought chicks vrs adults witch to get??

i guess my main concern is that they have time to adjust to the winter when it comes next year.

4. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Most of my chickens were 28 or 30 weeks old before they actually laid an egg.

5. Jimmiaandboys

Jimmiaandboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Bennington County, VT
    It's not uncommon for Red Sex Links to start laying around 4 mos. of age but the other breeds you mentioned tend to lay between 5-6 mos. If it's very important that you have eggs by mid-summer (to me that means July/early Aug) you might want to have them arrive little earlier than April.

If you want started pullets, instead of day old chicks than April or May would be fine. You can find breeders right here on BYC, you can also check out Craigslist (look under farm and garden) ***Make sure you check out the listings in Eastern CT and MA, too!***or you can order day old chicks through your local feed store. Most of the online hatcheries don't ship small numbers, but there are a few that will.

Good luck with your plans! I hope whatever you decide brings lots of happiness and yummy, healthy eggs!!![​IMG]

6. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    [​IMG] from Southeastern MA!! If you do order from a hatchery...make sure you do so early in the year. I'm not sure when they start taking orders but they can get backed up quick. We ordered ours around Feb or March and got them at the begining of May. You could also find chicken swaps in the area where people may have chicks. Good luck!!

7. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there, glad to see a fellow Rhode Islander here. I lived there for 25 years. Anyway, I have barred rocks they started laying the very day they turned 18 weeks old. I love raising cchicks too, I think you can make them very friendly if you spend time with them as babies. If you got adults that might not be the case.. Also My Pet Chicken is a hatchery in Connecticut and you can order as few as 3 chicks. Most other hatcheries have a 25 chick minimum. And I think they start having chicks available in February. Hope this helps. Oh I have a red star--she is an unbelievable layer.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    For those of us in the desert southwest, if we want to get any eggs before the heat sets in, we have to get chicks in Jan and February. They don't like to lay much in June, July and August around here.

9. bald egg

bald egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I am so glad someone asked this question. I plan to order a mixed flock from My Pet Chicken in the spring and am not sure when to place my order. If you order early what is the chance you will recieve them early. I have read it is a good idea to get a coop before the chickens. The coop is my winter garage project and will need warm weather to take it apart and set it up roof it ect.... So, when is a good time to order the little peeps? Can you reserve a date of arrival? Or will they be shipped as soon as the order goes through? Would like to get them about mid march. So, when to place the order????

10. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

Chicks are fun to raise......

Adults already have their habits.......

Your Choice......

Thanks for joining us. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by