When to call it quits on these quails.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HuffleClaw, Jul 9, 2019.

1. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Hi y’all.

The Quailies:
    I love them, I really do. They’re awesome when they aren’t going crazy on each other. There was a small scuffle between my male and a hen a few days ago, and no one was majorly damaged at all. They’ve been getting along for 2 days now, no issues noticed. UNTIL, of course I look in the corner of the quail cage and see my male shaking and puffed up... picked him up and both eyes are either missing(?) or swollen(?)
    I'll likely cull him in the morning. :(
    9E12B439-6E6C-441C-88FE-0DC1510EDB00.jpeg

And the worst part is, IT'S ALL MY FAULT!! :he Maybe if I’d been a proper keeper I’d have noticed this happening earlier. Should’ve separated them the first time. Ugh. I feel sick over this and I can’t blame it on anything but myself. :th

This isn’t the first time a major injury happened. First time it was a cat attack. Argh.

I’m considering just giving up on quail keeping in general. Maybe that’s crazy of me... and I’ll likely hear a lot of "Wow so an incident happens and you give up??? You’re crazy!"... I already know it’s crazy. But they’re all fighting now and there’s no way I can separate ALL of them.:th

2. Compost King

Compost King Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    if you give up on Quail that leaves you with more resources to have more chickens or try something else that you may enjoy more. I gave up on rabbits and ended up getting more than just a small flock of chickens a few years ago. Now I have about 200 chickens and many more breeding projects than I did with rabbits. As much as I loved holding and petting rabbits I like having multiple flocks of chickens even more. When one door closes another door opens.

3. blackandtan

blackandtan Songster

I get it completely! For me it’s my geese, I love them (and the chickens too) and try to do the best I can for them, like making them a big new pool.

That they don’t use.
    That chickens drown in.
    This year I’m up to 9 drownings (so far). Maybe they can’t all be happy together and it’s time to stop the waterbird experiment and take better care of the chickens.

4. HuffleClaw

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Thank you for your response! I think I’ve had enough with the quails and will sell them this Friday. I’d hate to see them go, but they are causing me and themselves loads of stress. My chickens & ducks are pretty much a breeze and are sooo peaceful to watch. :love The quails used to be peaceful but definitely decided otherwise... :hmm

5. HuffleClaw

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Thank you! It seems like if it’s not one thing, it’s the other with some animals :barnie

Sorry to hear about your chickens drowning. And especially since your geese don’t even use the big pool!

6. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Oh, @HuffleClaw , I'm so sorry to hear about this, it must have been so difficult for you! :hugsI have a "thing" about eyes (I didn't click on the link); if something like this happened in my flock I think they would just have to carry me away.

You know, it doesn't really matter what anyone here thinks, what matters is what's right for you. Poultry keeping, or having any critters, should be a joy, and if it's not... well then IMO it's not fair to you or the critters. But having said that, I love what @Compost King said!

Be at peace with your decision, Dear. I know you'll do what's right for you and your birds, and nobody has a right to judge you. :hugs

7. HuffleClaw

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Thank you @BigBlueHen53! :hugs Very much appreciated.

8. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Crowing

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    Wow, I had no idea that quail would do something like this! Why do birds always go for the eyes??? :sick I’m so sorry that you have to deal with this!!:hugs

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Why did you want them to begin with?
    Maybe just come learning curves in housing and management that can be overcome?

Trimurtisan and HuffleClaw like this.
  10. HuffleClaw

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    I wanted them for eggs. Which, they have provided, but they don’t get along. It’s usually the males that fight, but now the hens are fighting each other too...

Trimurtisan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: