1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to change feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicksducks1, Mar 21, 2017.

1. chicksducks1

chicksducks1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    At what age do you guys switch your chicks off starter and grower to layer feed?

2. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    For my chicks, starter actually wasn't necessary at all I just wet some normal chicken food, they say that starter chick feed has got minerals and other things the chicks need but you can put that in their water, if your asking when they will be able to eat large pellets of food I would say when they are outside and can withstand lower temps, thats about the point where they can eat larger pellets. Also if you want to give you chicks a better diet if you do happen to use wet chicken food you can add rice,pasta, noodles, and corn, just make sure if its dry corn its not too big for them and give em some grit with it

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. caboodleschicks

caboodleschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    South Carolina
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When they're laying [​IMG]

Well, I don't actually use layer myself, cause I have too many different ages and both genders. But, were I to have a small flock of just hens, it would be when they are all laying or very close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by