When to clip a broken beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sweetened, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Sweetened

Sweetened Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Our Dark Cornish (DC) rooster finally got what was coming to him. After the Chantecler (Sarge) healed up from being bested by him, it is apparent they had one hell of a scrap that DC came out on the losing side of.

Not only did DC lose a claw in the match, I have discovered he broke his beak while he was at it, and I believe he is already losing weight as I haven't seen him eat for a couple days, he's just not interested. I assume this is because it hurts. The front third of his top beak is cracked and broken and resting at a slight angle -- his beak is closed normally, but you can clearly see the break and dislocation.

I've read you can clip their top beaks, like a dogs nail, and I remember when I worked in a factory barn many (Many) years ago, all the hen's beaks were clipped on the top. I don't want to do this, but if it'll mean he'll live I'm willing to. He's bound for the table next year, but I want some crosses out of him starting in early February, so if I can give him a good quality of life until harvest day, it would be preferred.

How is this done, and does anyone have a humane-as-possible picture series or know of a tutorial with pictures to help get this done?

Also, how does one keep a chicken from squirming/biting down during this process?

Thanks

2. Sweetened

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    bump.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    His beak should heal in time - he is probably sore right now!

Try him with soft foods for a while until the pain is not so bad.

There are stories about broken beaks if you use the search button at the top of the page - Good luck!

Suzie

4. Sweetened

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    DC was passed away in the coop after work today. No need to reply!

5. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    Awwww sorry for loosing him ... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sweetened

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Thank you. I always hate losing a life on this farm, even if they're going into the freezer.

I think he just got bested. He tore apart my Chantecler roo when he first arrived to the coop, took him a month to heal. Once the Chanty was able to walk without a limp again I released him and sometime over that night, the Chanty lost a clump of feathers and the DC ended up with a broken claw and beak and just didn't pick back up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by