1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to collect eggs..

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by adubsroit, Apr 18, 2011.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    When is it a good time to assume and start collecting eggs after my Beltsville Whites do the deed?? With my chickens I wait a couple of days, a week at most to be totally safe and to assure the males are actually doing it right. Seems the younger the bird the more awkward the whole deed, lol.

To the best of my knowledge, as we put them together just a matter of hours ago, the jake has done nothing with his new girlfriend. He seemed awkward, sort cute though. I'd like to think that he will just get it done and I could start collecting this week. Is this possible?? What's y'alls rule of thumb for time after breed to start collecting eggs for hatch??

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    you could collect the first few and check for the bullseye when you crack them open.

3. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    [​IMG] That was what I was thinking. Our young jenny has laid one egg so fr, but no way it could have been fertile (different pen and all).

Should a breed as small as a Beltsville be fine without a saddle??

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    you mean like the saddles they have for chickens? I didn't know they made them that big.

5. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Yep!! They do seem to be a little more difficult to find, but Stromberg's seemed to have the most reliable stock; a lot of other places may have had them in stock, but they weren't sure if you'd be getting them any time soon, lol.

Here is a link to their S, M and L selection: Stromberg Turkey Saddles. If that doesn't work just go their site ans search "turkey saddle." I ordered just one, figured it'd be better safe than sorry and plus they aren't all that expensive. Found a few people online, though Google, that you can commission to make your bird designer saddles, lol, like with your states flag or stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by