when to combine silkies and rirs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jcskowronek, May 19, 2016.

1. jcskowronek

jcskowronek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    decatur, ga
    I have 4 silkies and 2 rhode island reds living together and getting along great. they are about 1 month old right now, all females. i also have 8 other rhode island reds, who are about 8 says old, all females as well.

I was wondering at what age I should combine the two groups. I know it might be tricky considering the (small) age difference, but when would be the best time? I'm going to use the "see but don't touch" method. I used it with the older silkies and rirs and it worked great. I have the rirs and silkies in a "play-pen" right now, (its probably at least 5'x5'), as we are not done renovating our coop. they are also going outside a little during the day in a large dog crate when it is warm. should I combine them while they're inside or wait till they go outside to the coop?

thanks
    julia

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd feel comfortable when the littles are 2-3 weeks old. They look a lot smaller still, but by that age they're really pretty sturdy and mobile, they can get away from the older birds if needed.

If you're going to keep them separate for a while, you could start having them see each other now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by