When to Cull..Hard to Do

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ncgnance, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    The decision was not easy..it was one of the hardest things I've had to do.
    My latest hatch was four little silkies. Three of them hatched Saturday. The last one zipped 3/4 of the way, then stopped. I decided Sunday to help it out, as the membrane was very dry. The little one's toes were very bent, so I left it in the bator overnight, planning on making boots to try and straighten its toes. When I got home today, I looked it over, and the legs were deformed, badly. Its back also felt deformed, and the chick was chirping very loudly when I tried to straighten the toes. This chick, I know, would never have been able to walk, and the other chicks would not accept it. I tried last night, and today, and they immediately ganged it, picking it and pulling at it. One went for the vent area. So, I made the decision. It was not easy, but I know I made the right decision. I'm so sorry, little one..

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The right decision for the chick, isn't always the easiest one for us. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, part of responsible ownership is to know when to let go. Glad you were able to do the right thing.

4. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    I have a BR chick with a deformed leg. He can get around okay enough as long as food and water are close by. Right now he's in a pen with baby ducks because the other chicks were literally trampling him. The baby ducks don't seem as ruthless. But I know that he will never be able to be part of the flock, so I'm going to have DH remove it soon. I just can't do it.

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Unfortunately, the longer you wait the harder it will be....

6. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Quote:I know, I know in my head, but my heart loves all these babies so much. I know that with a hen it would not have survived, but it is hard to be a responsible owner, sometimes. Thanks for reminding me.

7. BreakinTheLaw

BreakinTheLaw New Egg

Jul 16, 2008
    I hate to ask this, but I have two chicks...

(out of four) that need to go I'm afraid. This is my first hatch and I'm ready for the next - but I jest need to take care of this hatch first. Yeah, it'll be tough to do, but I gotta do it (and I'm going to need to do it a bunch in the future). So anyhow....

How do I cull them? Please, I need advice - you can PM that is great (if it isn't good to talk about in public). I know it's a difficult topic, but I need help please.

Thanks in advance.

Herman

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by