When to "cut the cord"????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by honeynajar, Apr 19, 2012.

1. honeynajar

honeynajar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Hey all!!! My layer babies are 7 weeks old today. They've been in the outside coop since week 4 with the heat lamp installed. It's running in the 50/60/70's during the daytime around here and I notice on the weather map it's calling for a low of 45 on Saturday night. How long do I need to keep the heat lamp in the coop? I only have it on at night time. I hate thinking of them being cold but my DH tells me that I've got to let go sometime! LOL Are they old enough to be ok in the lower temps? Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm sure others will tell you differently, but i tend to keep my chickens inside under a heat lamp until about six weeks. 45 seems awfully cold for babies. Most folks will say that once they have their adult feathers, they are fine outside. i'm just an over-protective mom. :)

3. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Thanks Enchanted! My troubles are I have NO clue if what they have is adult feathers! I'm a newbie!

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    As kids they just have that fuzzy fluff - down. At about 2 weeks they will start getting regular feathers on their wings. Generally by 4-6 weeks they've lost their fuzzy feathers and have flat feathers, like an adult bird. i think the best advice i can give is to follow your instincts. You should be able to see if they are shivering without a heat lamp. It can't hurt to give them the heat for another week or so, until the night time temps warm up a bit. i like to err on the side of caution.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i just reread your first post. i focused on "4 weeks" but now see they are 7 weeks. Sorry. i bet they have most of their adult feathers at this point. If it's going to be 45 tonight for you, i might keep the heat lamp on. But if your coop is draft-free, or you have doors and windows you can cover up at night, they are pretty close if not already fine with no heat lamp.

6. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Thanks! They are all fully feathered out and have been doing flying up to the higher roosts I put in the run. I was "assuming" they were feathered but one just doesn't know when its the first time around. They do perch to the heat lamp side of the coop I have noticed that so I don't think they are too hot. Thanks for your words. I too like to err on the side of caution.!

7. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    The coop is really draft free. I think I'll give them another few days - just to get past this 45 deal and then re-think things to see if the weather is going to get its act together.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Where are you? i'm in Northern California and it seems like Spring has been a long time coming. Thank goodness it has finally warmed up so i can put my 4-week-old goslings out during the day.

9. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    South central PA. I am getting 8 guineas keets in a lil bit so I think the ones in the coop are going to be going without the heat lamp. They were all scattered in the opposite end of the coop early this am when I was out so I think I'm in the clear. They've got each other if they get cold I'm thinking. But knowing full well I'll be up at 3am running to the coop to ensure they aren't out there crying. LOL

10. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Where at in PA? I'm really close to harrisburg myself and am enjoying these warm days, but hate closing my windows at night! I'm ordering chicks soon myself and am hoping the temperatures will be up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by