When to degut?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sanchoman, Sep 15, 2011.

1. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    I put 6 roo's into my fridge on wednesday. I read to wait 3 days before putting them in freezer.

I ran out of time and didn't gut them after plucking.

Is it ok to pluck, fridge for 3 days, then gut before freezing?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I wouldn't recommend doing that at all and I think most responses will confirm that, For sanitary reasons it's just not a good idea. Now that it has already happened it still may be fine to eat, I have never tried so I can't say.

3. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    don't do that. i would recommend before doing several at a time, do one at a time to give yourself reference to how long it is going to taste you. now they're marinating in their own gastric juices.

you also don't have to wait 3 days before putting them in the freezer. we are usually done by noon, let them cool down overnight, and in the freezer that next day (the day after killing)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    Are these birds no longer edible?

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Here is the deal Man, You could try and yes I know your thinking what a waste, but think of the reprocussions if you get sick. IMHO it ain't worth the risk, they might do that kinda unsafe stuff in China but I would think you are smarter than that.
    I just don't want to see you get sick is all Iam saying, You have to plan your processing so it all get's done at once.

6. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Not a good idea, for all the reasons mentioned thus far. It came up just the last couple of days in this thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=571961 , which expands upon them.

If processing entirely by hand, the plucking takes the longest. The killing/draining, and the evisceration take the least. Evisceration, 2 minutes, three at most. Skin and crop come away from the neck. Neck removed. Four quick cuts around the vent and oil gland, remove, inwards. At that point, if you were absolutely out of time, you could chill the birds, and do a better job of cleaning out the cavity later, to clear the sometimes stubborn lungs and small bits of other that might be left.

The important factors in getting the inwards out quickly are to be able to chill the meat, and avoid any damage to the meat from the decomposition of the digestive tract.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by