When to discard eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sherol, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Sherol

Sherol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    Have several eggs in the incubator and candled them today as in a week now. I have one with a blood ring and I need to get rid of that one. I have several that look like the yolk is still formed inside the shell... no veins. Do those need to go too are is there a possibility they might possibly develop. Are these possibly infertile?

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I didn't remove my "clears" until day 14, just to be sure nothing was going to develop.... I had a lot of those [​IMG]. I think they are infertile. Mine never did smell, so I don't know, they might not have been high risk. I think the eggs that die of bacterial infections (like the blood ring) are at highest risk of exploding.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I generally remove blood rings as they happen and my clears at day 10 to be sure. However I have never had an egg that was clear at day 7 not be clear at day 10.

4. Sherol

Sherol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    San Antonio Tx
    I removed the clears and cracked them open in baggies. Most were yellow yolks.. is that shipping damage or infertile? Two were dark bubble inside and when cracked open was black stinky mess.. is that bacteria?

5. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I believe you're correct on both counts.... I don't know if I want to crack mine open after this is over, I have a feeling I'll need a bucket, not a baggie [​IMG]

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That would be my conclusion.

In the beginning I used to crack all of mine just to see and learn. Now, I only eggtopsy the ones that have advanced development.

7. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I'm giving myself a pep talk, trying to work up to doing this. It's going to be awful....You're right of course, I should do it, to learn what went wrong - especially if I plan to incubate again in the future. (I just bought 6 more Araucana eggs on ebay [​IMG].)

8. JChicken77

JChicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I am having trouble discarding eggs too, I have 4 clears in my Bator and it's day 15.:oops: I think I'm gonna take them out today. I don't know why it's so hard, even though I know they are not alive

9. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Yeah, at day 10 I knew they needed to go..... I threw out the first 10 I culled. Now the rest of them have been incubating for 22 days now, I'll give them until Saturday and then I need to start cracking!.. It was hard for me to discard because I was so afraid of throwing away a good one on accident. I wanted those babies so bad [​IMG]

I think I may just try to buy some live birds from a breeder, by the time I get some eggs that hatch, I'll have a hefty investment in this project.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's more valuable with local eggs, than with shipped because the handling with shipped accounts for a lot of failed hatches. Especially the earlier quitters. It may be more significant with late quitters even though shipping can account for them as well.

Sometimes that's a better alternative to shipped eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by