When to expect eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ncCHICKS, Nov 15, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I know it varies with breed which is why I'm asking.

I have a RIR, EE, and a Dominique that were hatched around August 23 (I think the RIR was a day earlier and the EE a day late I didn't hatch them) I was figuring late February, early March.

OOPS, my bad it's not a RIR, it's a production red (whatever that is [​IMG] )

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

That would be about right. But its up to the chicken when they want to start laying.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You have guessed pretty close to the mark I would say. [​IMG]

4. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Out of 15 chickens (barred rocks, black stars and red stars or sex links)

Ours started laying at 5 months.

I know I don't have the kind you have, but I read that most chickens lay at that time anyway [​IMG]

Wendy

5. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    We got our first eggs this week - 6 out of 7 hens laid their first egg on the same day. Two different breeds - EE’s and Black Stars. The Blacks are 2 weeks younger than the EE’s, 24 & 22 weeks respectively. I think they must have all decided, today’s the day!

6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    JayBird+16 :

We got our first eggs this week - 6 out of 7 hens laid their first egg on the same day. Two different breeds - EE’s and Black Stars. The Blacks are 2 weeks younger than the EE’s, 24 & 22 weeks respectively. I think they must have all decided, today’s the day!

Maybe the EE's egged the Black Stars on [​IMG]

(sorry could not resist [​IMG] )

Wendy​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by