When to expect eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gapeach717, Mar 28, 2012.

1. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    If all my chicks were born in this month, when should I possibly expect eggs to start showing up? I know I have read somewhere about molting and not laying in cold winters? I live in the deep south and we are lucky to see freezing a whole lot in the winters. Do you think I will see eggs this year?

Thank you!

2. TNchK

TNchK New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    Usually around 19 weeks of age

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Depends on the breed but most generally around 19-20 weeks. I got my first eggs when mine were 18 wks.

4. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    thank you both!! that puts me ummm right on the FIRST day of our out of town vacation....looks like someone else will be eating my first eggs!!! [​IMG]

5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Same thing happened to us. We went on vacation, had the nesting boxes all set, explained the routine to son's friend who was taking care of them. He did a great job. I would check in every other day with him & ask....any eggs? Nope. Came home on a Sunday, went to the coop to see them and there they were.....2 eggs in the corner on the floor! I asked the my son's friend if was sure he check the coop thoroughly every morning & night....Yep he did. Figured they must of been laid later in the afternoon afternoon after he gave them some treats! Don't know why on the floor....beginners I guess!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by