1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to expect eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rdtrbl, Aug 26, 2013.

1. rdtrbl

rdtrbl New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Vancouver WA
    Hi I'm new here. I tried scrolling to see if I could find an answer, well with two kids running around I ran out of patience. Lots to read! I have 9 hens. The first 6 are all over a year old and were laying when we aquired them. Last week I rescued 6 amauracana bantam's. they are 6 months old and were not raised in coop like conditions. These birds were in a yard behind a strip of chicken wire and a plastic child's play house as shelter. Nothing to roost or nest in. They were also on grow feed.
    When does this breed tend to Start laying? I've been reading that average birds start at 16-18 weeks. Are they not laying because they were still on grow feed? Right now I have just mixed the grow feed with my laying feed. Should I just eliminate the grow feed when the mixed is gone?

Another ? These new gals after 5 days have still not figured out that they go to the coop at night to roost. They roost on the fence :(. I've been moving them every night. I went out of town and told hubby to just leave tgem in the run. We have a big coop attached to big run. I'm hoping they have gotten a clue.
    How long does it usually take for them to integrate and learn the routine? I plan to clip feathers today to keep them off the fence.
    These 3 are so frustrating and I feel so bad for them since they were raised in less than adequate conditions.

Any hints or suggestions would be great thanks :)
    Misty

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    After they sleep the same place for 3 or 4 nights they'll usually go in by themselves. They don't trust it yet.
    6 months is a little late. 20 weeks is the norm. A change of scenery causes enough stress to delay laying.

3. rdtrbl

rdtrbl New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Vancouver WA
    They were not laying when I got them. I don't expect them to lay now, even my girls have slacked off since the new ones arrived. I wonder if their old living conditions made them too stressed to start laying. I hope they adjust soon. I feel so bad for these birds.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Don't feel bad. Just give them good feed, fresh water, ventilation, sufficient daylength, move slowly around them and they'll start soon.

5. rdtrbl

rdtrbl New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Vancouver WA
    I clipped their wings today, so their attempts to hop the fence to roost flopped. I found them huddled on my table [​IMG]
    Picked them up and put them in the coop. They have had 5 nights in the coop. I hope they figure it out soon, they are not meaty enough for dinner!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by