1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to expect external pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosemi78, Feb 20, 2013.

1. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Hi, guys. The eggs are on day 20 today. All 11 showed life when I candled them on day 18 and put them in lockdown. Yesterday, I heard one of my chicks chirping in its shell & the egg was rocking pretty good. Question is - how long after the internal pip should I expect the external pipping to start? I know each egg is different & there's no exact answer, but maybe you could give me a general idea. I've tried looking through threads and googling to find my answer, but I'm on my phone and it's not the most convenient way of going about it. Thanks.

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    I heard chirping this am as well and was just thinking the same! Good luck with your hatch! I am really excited/ nervous now.

3. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    We can be excited and nervous together. Now I just hope I start hearing those beautiful sounds coming from more than just one egg. [​IMG]

4. Maah

Maah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    W.Michigan
    I don't think there is any correct answer for this... but I will give you an example of my last hatch. We heard internal chirping from 1 (of 4) eggs on a Thursday evening after dinner. Friday morning when we got up, about 4:30am we had 2 eggs with cracked shells. One of those chicks fully hatched later that Friday morning, but the other one didn't fully hatch until the following Saturday night. It's all a guessing game. Good luck with both of your hatches!

5. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    That actually eases my mind quite a bit. Knowing that even if 48 hrs goes by, I should hopefully still be okay, makes me feel much better. Thank you!

6. Mtn Margie

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Thanks MaahBeaker! I feel a little less paranoid and I will try not to stress the chicks out by thinking something out there is watching them. LOL.

7. Mtn Margie

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    I have a pip! Man-o-man I wish/ hope somebody would hatch!

8. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Ahh!!! So exciting for you! I cant wait to hear about how hatching goes for you!

I ran home earlier to let the chickens out of their coop and found 2 beautiful chicks knocking the snot out of the other 9 eggs in my incubator, lol. I got to hear the one chirping, but never saw any pips or zipping in either one. I just ran home again to check on them and saw an egg with a pip. Can't wait to see what I find when I go home AGAIN! Lol

good luck!!!!

9. AdamNV

AdamNV Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Well I guess its all a matter of guessing and waiting to be honest :p One of mine pipped and 3 hours later if I'm correct, voilah she was out - some are faster some are slower. I am now excitedly waiting for the last egg, internal chirping, no pip yet !!!!! chewing my nails all the way >_>

10. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Congrats, AdamNV! That's so exciting. I have now had 3 hatch, and there are 3 more with external pips on the outside that I'm waiting on. I am a little worried about one of them, though. It has an external pip, but it doesn't look like it has pipped INTERNALLY. Is that common?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by