When to expect pip "action"????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsfarmchick1, Jan 13, 2011.

1. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I put the eggs in lockdown Tuesday am, when should I expect to hear/see anything? This is my first hatch with LG (never again!) and I'm uncertain that the temp was EVER correct...

2. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    You could have a pip any time (in my experience) from day 18 until 23. Others have reported pips and live chicks even later. Good luck and wait....and just try not to keep glued to the inci!!! lol [​IMG]

3. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    You should expect to see rocking/shaking start between Friday throguh Saturday night, the first pip hole should occur between Saturday morning through Sunday night, and zip should start somewhere around 2-24 hrs after pip.
    I am in the middle of my first hatching with our first LG 9200... so far, I am having great success with hatching. Might I ask why you say never again? I am also curious which model you have, whether or not you have an egg turner, and if you have the fan kit or not? The reason I ask, is that in the operating/instructional videos for the Lg's on youtube mention that if you have either the turner or fan kit, or both, that your temps will be much different than without them. The motors for both of these add mor heat to the 'bator.
    Our LG is just the basic still air incubator, no fan kit or turner. It's temp(after the first and thankfully only operator malfunction) has stayed constantly between 99.5-100(verified by 2 other thermometers in addition to the one that came with the 'bator).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. mrsfarmchick1

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    You should expect to see rocking/shaking start between Friday throguh Saturday night, the first pip hole should occur between Saturday morning through Sunday night, and zip should start somewhere around 2-24 hrs after pip.
    I am in the middle of my first hatching with our first LG 9200... so far, I am having great success with hatching. Might I ask why you say never again? I am also curious which model you have, whether or not you have an egg turner, and if you have the fan kit or not? The reason I ask, is that in the operating/instructional videos for the Lg's on youtube mention that if you have either the turner or fan kit, or both, that your temps will be much different than without them. The motors for both of these add mor heat to the 'bator.
    Our LG is just the basic still air incubator, no fan kit or turner. It's temp(after the first and thankfully only operator malfunction) has stayed constantly between 99.5-100(verified by 2 other thermometers in addition to the one that came with the 'bator).

Thanks for the info on when to expect something...
    I upgraded with the fan kit (but the temps are wildly different thoughout (side to side & top to bottom). So I am now treating it more like a still air, because the fan doesn't keep the temp constant thoughout. I must say that once I decided which themometer was accurate (Brinsea Spot Temp) and set the incubator - it DID hold temps steady.
    I also got the turner, but decided to use cardboard carton method on lockdown because the temp was much lower on the wire rack and this is my only incubator so I was worried about re-doing the temperature.

I am going to upgrade to an incubator that has a built-in thermostat that I can set to 99.5 and it will regulate itself...any suggestions for brands would be very welcome!​

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Good luck. I am on my 1st hatch. I go into lockdown on the 17th. [​IMG]

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:FWIW (and don't change anything now that you are in lockdown, but perhaps keep in mind for future hatches), I read that the cardboard carton is the one you wouldn't want to use because it absorbs too much moisture, making it difficult to keep humidity up during those vital hatching days. I'm on my first hatch too (and only day 4) so am still learning/researching/reading every thread on incubation and have no experience with either - just passing on what I gather from other more experienced people. I am using a foam carton but I've also seen people specify that they are using plastic cartons. I assume those are something they purchased specially for the job since I've never seen eggs in a store sold in plastic.

7. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Quote:I reccomend using the styrofoam cartons. The cardboard ones will soak up a fair amount of the moisture that you want to go to the eggs. [​IMG]
    I have only had this LG, but I hear that brinseas are popular, either that or building your own.

8. mrsfarmchick1

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I reccomend using the styrofoam cartons. The cardboard ones will soak up a fair amount of the moisture that you want to go to the eggs

I thought about the styrofoam cartons, but some people on the forum recommended cardboard - so go figure! But that does make sense about absorbing humidity. I put in 4 sponges and several paper towels to keep the humidity between 70-75%.​

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    As far as when you will see your first pip, try not to get discouraged if it doesn't happen on day 21. I just went through a hatch and I didn't get my first pip until day 22. The last egg hatched on day 23 or 24. I am pretty sure that my temps were running a little low so that is why I had a late hatch. I have the Brinsea Advance so it was all automatic as far as turning, temps and humidity were concerned. I would still keep your spotcheck to verify your temps when you update your bator. Mine never wandered far from 99.6 but I think it is reading the temperature at the top of the bator, not down where the eggs are so for my next hatch, I am going to get a spotcheck and adjust the temperature accordingly for where the eggs are. Good luck on your hatch!

10. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    im in lock down too [​IMG] (1st hatch ever(= ) good luck [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by