When to expect Texas A&M quail to lay eggs?

finsfan79

Chirping
Nov 15, 2010
Florida
Started to notice mating behavior a few days ago. (Mounting while pecking the one below by the neck)

They are 7wks old. Do all male quails crow because the one i saw mounting the other i havent seen crow yet.

Out of the 13 i have theres only one that crows and it crows all the time. I havent really seen any of others crow.

Thanks

They are Coturnix....Texas A & M is only the so called name of 1 Coturnix variety ( white or white with a spot or 2 of color on it's head or body and a bit bigger than an English White)....Generally they start to lay at 6-8 weeks of age.

Well I don't want to open up the whole A&M debate, but they are a color mutation of the coturnix. You can't sex them by feathers or anything so you will have to vent sex or beer sex. They all crow, but some start later than others. If you want to vent sex them look at the sticky at the top of the page.

Given proper lighting, "SAMENESS", and nutrition. Coturnix hens should start laying somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks. Change any of those 3 variables, then all bets are off. Throw in sub zero weather, and you are on your own.

Somewhere between 8 and 80,000 weeks
big_smile.png

Sorry, I can't be more specific
sad.png

Unfortunately Since Quail Cant Read They Dont Follow Any Rule Book... Make The Conditions Right And Then Maintain Perpetual Sameness... After That They Will Lay When They Are Good And Ready But Not A Moment Sooner. If You're Already Doing This They Should Start Anytime Now... But If You're Pacing Outside The Cage Like An Expectant Father It Will Be Longer As Young Hens Get Stage Fright, Or They Just Like To Watch Us Agonize??

Yup! When I develop a strain of coturnix, that can read, and properly follow everything ever written about them, and do so accordingly...I will list them on ebay and note:They hatch in 16 days, they grow to 16 oz. in 6 short weeks, lay eggs in 6 weeks, and taste just like....What ever game bird you like to eat.

I love my coturnix, but they can't read for poop!

My A&M quail are 14 weeks old. And have not laid an egg. They have gone through the wringer with me. I don’t have anyone to care for them over the holidays so They travel with me. First time they were a wreck. Tipping over the waterer. Boy did they make a ruckus. So I don’t know if they will lay eggs or not. I’m hopeful. I think I km hace one male, 3 female. Male squacks!!!!

For egg laying, coturnix don't like to be moved too frequently, need 14-16 hours of light and lots of protein.

Mine typically don't lay until 10 weeks of age or so, then they do so daily, sometimes more. As far as crowing, usually only the dominant male crows. The rest are quiet (thankfully). If your bird is mounting another, you can be assured the mounter is male. The mountee is probably female, but even that isn't guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom