When to "flee" the nest? [Putting indoor poults outside]

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Smidoid, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Smidoid

Smidoid Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    I have a couple of Silkie roos, now coming up to four months old and fully fledged (assume).

They've always been kept in a cool area of the house but our outdoor temps can drop into double figures (C) below freezing.

Does anyone have any advice on how to move my "babies" outdoors? I assume they will need some form of acclimating but this is something I'm very new too - and since these are my first hatch, I'd really hate to lose them at this stage!

Thanks

2. You will want to put them outside once they have all there adult feathers. If you want to put them out now you could hook up a heat lamp in their coop.
    Good Luck!

3. Smidoid

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks so much. But how do I know the adult feathers are in. Yes, I'm that much of a noob.

They are about 4 months old - both Silkie Roos.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    At six weeks most have their adult feathering. On most breeds they will lose the down on the head and neck near last. I know with silkies fluff its harder to tell, but if they have been in the cool they should be fully feathered now. I don't think you'll have to supplement the heat long, just long enough to ease them in to the colder coop. Put a thermometer in the coop to see how cold it is in there.

1 person likes this.
  5. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    BTW poults are baby turkeys.

1 person likes this.
  6. Smidoid

Nov 2, 2012
    Really? Did I mean pullet? D'oh...

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Actually, you didn't mean "pullet" either, as those are young female chickens.... [​IMG] The correct term for a young male chicken is cockerel.

8. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    oops!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  9. Smidoid

Nov 2, 2012
    I Need to listen more carefully in class , methinks. Lol.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Eh, around here we just call 'em chicks or chickens. Roosters or hens if we really need to differentiate, but generally skip over the "pullet" or "cockerel" part. Boys or girls, that's all we need to know.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by