When to freerange?!!! Help! PS. what about the guineas?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kkm, Aug 22, 2008.

1. kkm

kkm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Shawnee, OK.
    I have the two 2 1/2 mo. old guineas and four 1 1/2 mo. old chickens. We were moving the tractor and my boys lifted it too high on one end and three of the chickens got out. [​IMG] They had fun chasing them,[​IMG] but the chicks had the most fun! They loved it![​IMG] Which made me wonder how old they need to be before I can let them free range during the day.[​IMG] I fear they wont come in on their own. How do we get started? Any suggestions? Thanks, kkm
    -

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I started free ranging my 1 mo. old biddies this week and it has been a hoot. The older chickens just sort of ignore them and the younger ones are like children...running and exploring. At night they go back to their pen and the older hens go to the roost in their house. Funny to see, as the little ones can't seem to get all the way into the coop, but bed down on the straw right outside the open door. Each night I go out after dark and gently nudge them into the open door and close them in. I don't know why, cause the dogs sleep next to them and wouldn't let anything happen to them, but I do it anyway. They might let the cat pick up a snack, though, as they are great buds with him and probably have a live and let hunt mentality towards him! [​IMG]

They haven't caught on to the whole roost thing yet for sleeping. They will probably catch on when they start to intermingle more with the old gals and watch them go to roost each night. I'm trying to get them incorporated into the flock more by freeranging them with the big girls. This way the rooster will be more likely to protect them from the goofy cat! He lets him make a few attempts, then he chases the cat! That's my favorite part! [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine were 8 weeks. I left them in their hen house for two weeks...then let them into their run...they all went to bed themselves. Then after two weeks in their run we opened the BIG door to our yard and they LOVED It! And come sundown they all went back in on their own [​IMG] Chicken are pretty smart! I would let them out if i were you and see if they will find their way back in to bed. GOod luck!

4. kkm

kkm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Shawnee, OK.
    The goofy cat... now thats something I had't really thought about. Zena, our cat, has'nt shown much interest in the chicks other than wondering what we were doing . She sniffed them when I brought them out, looked into the tractor then walkrd away. I havn't noticed her by it at all. Sure hope she doesn't become interested!

5. kkm

kkm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Shawnee, OK.
    What about the guineas? I thought they were more wild. Will they return to the tractor? Thats the other thing, It's not a real coop. It is an 11'x5' tractor. they dont have boxes or any thing, they just nestle down under the corner braces. And I move it a lot so its not always in the same spot. Or should I wait till we build their house?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by