1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to Freerange?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by nfrost, Sep 17, 2011.

1. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Have 3 peafowl about 2-3 months old gonna have them penned up for another 2 weeks, but how should i let them free range? let one out by itself so it might stick around or just let all 3 out and hope for the best?

2. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    im not sure we have one peacock and a guinea hen, the peacock got out once and was gone for 3 weeks another time he left and came back in a hour

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Think it would be best to try one at a time.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I kept mine penned for 6-8 weeks before turning them loose.

5. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I have 4 pairs of Indian Blues 4 adult hens 2 older males and 2 1 1/2 year old males.. I only want to keep the 4 hens and the older males in the pen.. How would you go about letting the other males out. We also have a pair of Guineas who think they are peacocks (We let them out after a week from a different pen but found the Peafowl pen and wanted in there) They were raised with peacocks from day one.. I was wanting to let the 2 males and the 2 guineas out after a month or so? How will that work?

Ryan

6. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I let our pair out after a month cooped up with the chickens. They don't leave home.

Silkielover- I have heard from several people that if you have a pair, one female, one male-- they will not be as apt to roam.

7. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:I let our pair out after a month cooped up with the chickens. They don't leave home.

Silkielover- I have heard from several people that if you have a pair, one female, one male-- they will not be as apt to roam.

ya we're going to get a female in the spring

8. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Ok they accidently got opened this morning before i got done with my classes and they had free range all day i noticed them prob 50 yards away in the woods eating with the chickens, i got nervous thinking they werent gonna come back at night but i went into the house till dark came out and they came home and roosted on there own, does this mean its good to go that they will come back every night, or should i wait for them to be confined a bit longer!

9. Exotics R Us

Exotics R Us Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Carolinas
    If you don't have peahens with the males they could leave when older, I don't let mine free range til they are about 6 or 7 months old.

Ricky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by