When to freeze your chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Newchickenguy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Newchickenguy

Newchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok, after you butcher your chicken and let it chill in ice water, do you freeze it right away or wait for a day or so. I have herd that if you freeze it right awary, when you go to eat it, say a month later the chicken will still have rigamortis. I also herd that freezing the chicken right away is just fine.

So which is it? Has anyone had experience with this?

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Rigor sets in right away and you wind up with a club-shaped carcass. LOL I tried refrigerating for 24 hours and for 48 hours. 48 gave the best results. Rigor fades enough by then that you can push the bird into a nice, tight bundle like the ones you see at the market. I use shrink-wrap bags and then plop them in the freezer. The meat is nice and tender when thawed and cooked.

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I don't have room to let mine set in the fridge for any amount of time, so I freeze them as soon as they come down to temp. I thaw them for at least 3 days in the fridge, though, and it does a great job of tenderizing them.

4. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Space was definitely an issue for us, too. We processed 4 birds a day for 4 days, so at any one time, we had 4-8 "clubs" in the fridge. Anticipating needing the space in the fridge, we used up leftovers and I precooked meals to put in the freezer to prepare. I didn't do any shopping for items needing refrigerating. Before those birds went in there, my fridge looked emptier than it ever has! =D

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think either way is fine - give them time in the fridge before freezing or after thawing. I noticed a big difference in tenderness from those that were freshly dressed and frozen and then thawed and cooked - much tougher if not allowed time. I try and do it beforehand. That way I don't have to think 3 days in advance if want to have chicken and take it out of the freezer. The only pain in the beforehand method for me is that, when I process chicken I want to be DONE when I'm done. But then I have to go back in three days to vacuum seal them...oh well. Small price to pay for tender, tasty meat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by