when to get a roo and how old should he be?

ashleymama42

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 5, 2008
Queen Creek, AZ
So I have 5 chicks, about 4-5 weeks old. I want them to lay eggs, I need a roo for them to do that right?
When do I get one, how old should he be and how do I introduce them? will they get along?
also, where do i get one without buying from hatchery online?
My local feed stores sold me the chicks, but everyone i have called said they dont have roos or they dont know if they are roos or hens?
wee.gif

this is fun already!

No, you don't need a rooster to get eggs. The hens will do that all by themselves. You only need a rooster if you plan to hatch your own chicks in the future or if you plan to sell purebred fertilized eggs. Roosters are also good protection for the flock if you free-range.
If you bought your chicks from a feed store and they were straight run (meaning not sexed) then just wait and you may find that you already have a rooster, like it or not.
In fact, at 4 to 5 weeks old if you want to post some pics we might be able to tell you if any of your little darlings are baby roos.

Last edited:
My camera is broken..ugh.. rough and rowdy 18 month old son, already had stitches twice! likes to throw things..
I did some searching around on here and figured out how to tell for the most part. I thought one of mine might be a roo but its just a big hen, or is a little older than the others..
None have waddles or any redness on their faces, and all of them have fuzzy armpits, no saddle feathers that i can see and all short and rounded edges on their feathers as far as i can tell. Im not even guessing that any are roos, no reason to question at this point.. they told me at the feed place that they weren't sure about the production reds and the silkies, but the BR and Ameraucanas were 99% sure to be hens. I only got the A and BR. new camera coming for xmas..surely post some pics then!
big_smile.png

LOL, you don't even know..... (About the 'fun already' thing)

You are soon to be addicted beyond your wildest dreams. Resistance is futile!!!!

Last edited:
OMG, OMG, I'm OUTTA THE BROODER!!! I'm somebody now!!!!

Thank you for your post/question.

BTW, where are you at? You can click on Profile and put your approx. location right on your nickname info.

I also have all females, 10 chickens and 7 breeds, mostly young. All very puurty! LOL

Back
Top Bottom