when to get chicks out of the brooder????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapeachy, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    when can I get my chicks out of the brooder? ...they will be 2 weeks old wed...

2. COWBOY21

COWBOY21 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    After 5 weeks should be fully feather and can make it outside the brooder.[​IMG]

3. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    ok thanks...I have them in 3 crates...150 of them...getting 50 more this week.....TOO MANY CHICKS.....they are growing good I worry about them getting too crowded

4. COWBOY21

COWBOY21 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    I meant to ask are you putting them into a extisting flock if so wait till they are about same size? If putting them into a coop by themselves,no problem.Hope this helps.[​IMG]

5. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    no I wont put them with the older chickens....my rir hen coop nothing goes in there....they dont like anything comming in there....i use that coop to gather eating eggs.... I like to let my older chicks about 2 or 3 months free range...they seem to grow better doing that....

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Quote:oh my..that is a lot of chicks [​IMG] how big are those crates?

7. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    they are about 4ft X 5ft....they have room to runaround....and I put a little roost in there for them to jump around on....they are growing and seem happy....I have to clean their water out about 3 times a day and add feed about 4 or 5 times....and clean out the shavings and replace...i will post pictures of their progress....i posted when I first got them

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If the outdoor temperatures are similar to the brooder temperature, then mine can go outside before they are fully feathered. If the outdoor temperatures are lower than the brooder temperature they should be at, then I move their heat lamp with them, to their grow-out housing or coop. They basically finish brooding in a more spacious area.

What kind of housing are you moving them to and how are your outside temperatures right now?

9. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I am going to move them to an outside inclosed off the ground pen with their lights...outside here right now is cold and windy so I am not putting them outside yet....the weather here is crazy...one day it is 35 the next is 60 then 70 then back down to 35 we will be like this untill april then all clear with warm temps....

10. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I would think it depends on the temp where you live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by