When to get my ducks for fair

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirdGirl2004, Jan 30, 2017.

1. BirdGirl2004

BirdGirl2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2016
    Hey guys, I am wanting to put my ducks in to the fair but I wanted them to be about 6 months or so. So that they would completely feathered out come fair time around July 20th or so. I was going to get mallard ducks because they are a nice bird and I don't want to eat them or sell them for meat at the fair. Do you know when I should get my ducks? Anybody know how to show a duck for the fair? If I want to put a male and female in the fair how many ducks do you think I should get just in case some die? What hatchery should I get them from that is the cheapest? Thanks!!

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I got Khaki campbells in Febuary, and they were fully feathered by July.

If you do it right, ducklings have a very low mortality rate. I think just a pair would be fine

I dont know the best place to get mallards though.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. BirdGirl2004

Nov 19, 2016
    Thanks, I'll consider Khaki Cambells.

4. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Well...Now I will have to tell you great things about em lol.
    Khakis are very good looking (in my humble opinion of course [​IMG]).
    [​IMG]

This is Curly aka Mr Smarty Pants. Isnt he handsome? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this is my sweet girl Blondie

They can be very sweet if you spend enough time taming them, and they lay like nobodies business.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  5. BirdGirl2004

Nov 19, 2016
    They are SO cute!! And yes he is very handsome!! lol!:)

6. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Let me know what you decide to get!

7. BirdGirl2004

Nov 19, 2016
    Hello there, I was thinking about getting Khaki Cambells for awhile now and then I thought of how they fly an that made me a little nervous because I have a big yard and they could get lost... also I have the road that is less than 100 yards from the coop and they could fly over the pen and on to the road. I was thinking maybe mallards? Have you ever had mallards? Do you know anything about this breeds of duck? Thanks!!

8. mlh328

mlh328 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2016
    Butte, MT
    Mallards are also flyers. But if you like the look of them maybe check out the rouens, they are like a bigger version of a mallard. I don't have any experience with any of these breeds, I have cayugas and they are really pretty.

9. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I have five Khakis and they can't fly more than a few inches off the ground. My oldest girl did fly over the fence once when she was younger and lighter, so I clipped her wings She got stuck in the neighbors yard when she went over the fence, fortunately their dog was in the house.

I think Mallards are much better flyers. Besides, I am with Bills vs Beaks, I love my Khakis and they are very sweet!

1 person likes this.
  10. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I have a four foot electronet fence. No one has gotten over so far :p
    I also live very near a road, but they dont seem to be very interested in it. I think if they have enough pasture to keep em happy, they'll stick around
    @mlh328 said this, but I want to be very clear. Mallards will fly, and do it waaaay better than khakis. @Spyderk117 has some fun vids of mallards flying if you want to see [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by