when to get new hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by papeine, Sep 29, 2011.

1. papeine

papeine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Hastings
    my girls will be 2 this next spring. My sister-in-law and I got hens at the same time. She want to get rid of this bunch and get new ones next spring, she tells me that they have reached their peak and egg production will drop. I have 12 and am getting anywhere from 4 or 8 eggs a day. Should I consider new chicks next spring.. or are these girls good for another year or two???

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know your full story. 4 to 8 a day from 12 hens is not very good for good egg laying breeds, but you may have some in molt, you may have a breed that does not lay real well, or there may be something else going on. If the 4 to 8 is peak production, I'd get some more based on that.

However, to better answer your question, after the next molt, egg production for the flock will probably drop around 15%. It is somewhat breed dependent and it can vary quite a bit by the individual hen, but if you have enough for the averages to mean much, plan on around 15% fewer eggs.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:x2

What breed(s) are they?

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have production breeds or heritage breeds? That distinction makes a lot of difference on when egg production declines enough to have to replace them.

5. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Have you tried giving them some coffee? make it nice, with cream and sugar, and let them sip a bit 3 - 4 mornings a week. Not too hot, of course! I swear this is what made my hen start laying again, after she was 5 yrs old and had already quit for a year. She lived to 9, and laid almost every day until she died.

I've tried giving my new hens coffee, but they don't like it yet:lol:

6. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:There is no way i am sharing my coffee with my chickens, I do good sharing it wit my hubby, lol. Luv the stuff, drink it from the time I get up til the time I go to bed! Nursing a cup right now. And I have been known to take a cup to bed with me. [​IMG] Seriously tho, i would really share with them if they ever decided they liked it, but they are the only ones I would share with! Two things ya don't mess with, Tracy's coffee and chocolate. [​IMG]

7. papeine

Sep 25, 2010
    Hastings
    thanks for the replys..
    I have 3 production reds, 2 black sex links, 2 barred rocks, 2 buff oringtons, 1 black australorp and 2 americana's

8. papeine

Sep 25, 2010
    Hastings
    Quote:no haven't tried coffee.. I am not a coffee drinker.. but I suppose I could give it a shot

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Although I'm from the generation that fully understands that just because you are paranoid does not mean that someone is not out to get you, I really don't believe in better living through drugs. If it were that easy, the commercial operations would be doing it. They are not.

10. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The production reds and sex links might need replaced, but the rest should keep going for another couple of years at least. You have 8 heritage breeds and get about 4 to 8 eggs out of 12, which sounds like the production hens have layed themselves out and the rest have slowed down a bit.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by