When to give away a bully?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mtnchicken, Jan 19, 2014.

1. mtnchicken

mtnchicken New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    I am brand new to BYC and love it! Just recently bought 4 hens (2 Americaunas and 2 RIRs) from the same farm. The RIRs are a couple months older than the Americaunas. Noticed immediately that one of the RIRs was bullying the 2 Ameri. She would run across the yard un-instigated and just start terrorizing the younger Ameri's. I was concerned, but figured it was typical pecking order. However, tonight I went out to check on them in their coop and the mean RIR was sitting on the roosting bars, while the other three were huddled together in the corner as far away from the mean RIR as they can get. After reading lots of other forums posts, I don't wan't to wait until something bad happens with this RIR. Do I give her away? I know it hasn't been very long. Or try and isolate her and reintroduce her? She is just mean! Thank you - all advice helpful!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    This may resolve itself with time, but if you're concerned, i would definitely try taking her out for a few days and re-introducing her before you just get rid of her. Sometimes rearrangements in the pecking order can make big differences.

Additionally, i have noticed that RIR tend to be the bullies, especially if they are coupled with more docile breeds, such as the americaunas. Not to say that they can't live together, but they just have more dominant personalities, in general.

3. mtnchicken

mtnchicken New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    Thank you Beth; this is all so new and it makes me sad to see these younger Americaunas so cute huddled under the wing of the other RIR. I will try the separation for a few days. Do you think that the nice RIR could end up being a bully? Or would her bully traits already have popped up? I am hoping the problem won't arise again with the other RIR since the Americaunas are younger than the RIRs.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It sounds like the nice rir has bonded with the americaunas. She will likely emerge at the top of the pecking order, but i doubt she will turn into a bully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by