When to give chicks ACV and Garlic

llamagirl

Chirping
15 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Western NC
At what age can you give ACV and garlic in water? I grow garlic so, can you use raw garlic? I have read the posts on ACV but, didn't know at what age?
hmm.png

I am not sure at all about the garlic or the correst time for the ACV. But I have been adding the ACV sence mine were 4 days old. The drink a lot and are doing fine. Only 1 tbls per 1 gal.

Last edited:
I'm still a newbie too! I won't get my chicks until May but, I'm trying to find out everything I can. ACV- apple cider vinegar, organic with fermentation on the bottom, is supposed to be good for building immunity. I have seen a lot of this on the posts when a chicken gets sick or as a preventative. I hear about garlic in the water too but, don't know if you can use it raw or at what age. I hope some of the experts will let us know.
hmm.png

I wouldn't start ACV until they're a few days old. That way it gives them a little time to have some fresh, plain water and get a little stronger themselves.

ACV is great for their immune system. It acts as a natural antibiotic that is much easier on the system than medication. It discourages the growth of salmonella bacteria in the water, as well as in the chicks. So saying that, you're giving them a better chance at keeping the paratyphoid and e.coli away. Vinegar also makes an acidic environment in the digestive tract that promotes the growth of good gut bacteria. We use White House ACV, but if you can find the organic kind with "the mother" in it, such as Braggs ACV, it's the best. "The mother" is basically the gunk left over after fermentation. Sounds icky, but it's got all those good enzymes and trace elements that really give a boost to the birds.

It's one tablespoon per gallon. I feel better giving chicks half a tablespoon until they're a few weeks older. I don't think a full tablespoon would hurt, but it's just the way I do things.

Garlic is also a natural antibiotic. It's good for their blood, keeping plenty of oxygen in it. It also helps give them a nice, shiny coat of feathers and can help prevent parasites both inside and out. I wouldn't put garlic in the water unless you order garlic juice. You can cut up cloves and soak them in a gallon of water (leave it and give it to them the next day). The only problem with putting it in the water, is that it tends to develop a film where bacteria can grow. Yes I know I just said it was an antibiotic, but things can still grow in the water if the garlic is left in there. You'd have to give them a fresh batch everytime. Personally, I'd rather get garlic powder and put it on the feed. All you need is a little light olive oil to coat the feed, and just enough garlic powder to cover the feed. This also needs to be given fresh as the oil makes it easy for contamination to stick. We use a garlic powder/brewer's yeast mix. Good for vitamin B.
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/636.html
Here's the garlic juice
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/6007.html

And yes, of course it's not JUST for pigeons
tongue.png

Wow, those are good to know as I grow my own garlic and I almost always have ACV on hand. It sounds more organic than using the medicated feed I currently have. I'm planning to switch at the end of this bag.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom