when to give chicks grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by graggy, Feb 7, 2016.

1. graggy

graggy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    I have 4 Buff Orpingtons that are in a brooder in my house. They are about 2 weeks old and I am feeding them chick starter. When should I start putting some grit in there with them or probably in there food and what type of grit should I use? Thanks for any help

2. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    They sell small grit for chicks.
    opinions vary on when to offer it, of course they have to have it once getting food that requires some "chewing" like greens. Some claim they should have it early to give the gizzard a head start developing.
    If they are with a broody they would get it soon as they were out in the yard.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    IF your ground is not frozen, you can meet a multitude of needs by giving them a plug of sod. Place it in the brooder upside down. They'll go nuts over it and will reap lots of benefits: grit, greens, minerals, tiny insects, a good dose of beneficial bacteria and fungi to jump start their gut flora and immune systems, and their first dust bath.

1 person likes this.
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    The Science Of Feeding Grit To Poultry
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry
    all 5 posts
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'm new at this, so grain of salt and all that, but I fed my chicks chick starter exclusively for the first week to let everything settle down from the stress of hatching and being shipped. Then the second week I provided chick grit because I started to feed them daily "treats" to introduce them to a variety of foods while they're young--not only so they accept these foods later but also to start developing the kind of gut flora that is designed to handle such a variety (plan is to free-range daily + garden scraps).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by