When to give chicks to new homes

CovertFarm

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2022
We have 15 new chicks as of yesterday, and have been planning to give them to new homes since we saw our hen's hidden nest a couple weeks ago. I didn't have the heart to abort them, but I also knew we couldn't keep them all either. I have some families interested in taking them, but I'm not sure when the chicks will be strong enough to go. We are keeping 4, so hopefully having them around will keep our hen happy. Does anyone have any advice on this subject?

I'm still learning, but it may depend a little on the home situation they are going to. If someone is starting fresh with them / not doing an introduction, I'd recommend waiting until fully feathered and no longer seeking warmth from their mother. I think that's 6-10 weeks depending on the breed. If they will get introduced to new adults, possibly let them get a little more size first as they'll need to be hearty enough to run and evade grown hens asserting dominance.

I'm still learning, but it may depend a little on the home situation they are going to. If someone is starting fresh with them / not doing an introduction, I'd recommend waiting until fully feathered and no longer seeking warmth from their mother. I think that's 6-10 weeks depending on the breed. If they will get introduced to new adults, possibly let them get a little more size first as they'll need to be hearty enough to run and evade grown hens asserting dominance
I'm still learning, but it may depend a little on the home situation they are going to. If someone is starting fresh with them / not doing an introduction, I'd recommend waiting until fully feathered and no longer seeking warmth from their mother. I think that's 6-10 weeks depending on the breed. If they will get introduced to new adults, possibly let them get a little more size first as they'll need to be hearty enough to run and evade grown hens asserting dominance.
I was feeling 6 to 8 weeks was good too, since that seems to be when the hen starts to seek independence again (from what I've read).

I sell as many as I can at day old.... this means you don't end up with 25 roosters that no one wants.
I was thinking the same thing. How does the hen react? I've read they can get stressed if they lose them all at once. We're keeping 4, so hopefully that would help.

I was thinking the same thing. How does the hen react? I've read they can get stressed if they lose them all at once. We're keeping 4, so hopefully that would help.
From what I have seen they are fine as long as they have something to look after
Mine usually fuss for as long as they can hear baby cheeping. Sometimes less, very rarely longer, as long as they still have at least one.

Back
Top Bottom