When to give oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katieasaur, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Katieasaur

Katieasaur Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Hi, I have 4 chicks that are now 6 days old. I am curious when I should start giving them oyster shells and a salt lick and if there is anything else I should give them.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Chickens do NOT need a salt lick.

Oyster shell can be given once pullets begin laying.

3. Katieasaur

Feb 2, 2012
    thanks, because I didn't think they needed a salt like but then I was told where I got them that you do but thanks :D

4. Katieasaur

Feb 2, 2012
    what about the (i know im going to spell this wrong) diatomatcious earth for dust baths, need or not?

5. bdcraig

bdcraig Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    Can one buy oyster shells? I mean, just the shells, if you do not eat oysters>

6. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

You can buy bags of crushed oyster shells at most feed stores. I know my local TSC and Southern States both carry it.

7. bdcraig

bdcraig Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    Thanks

8. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Entirely up to you.

9. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Mine loved it. It creates an unsightly amount of dust, though; so you might want to wait until they are moved outside (assuming they are inside) until you give it to them. Mine like to dust bathe in their sand and it doesn't create hardly any dust.

I'm not kidding when I say DE creates an unsightly amount of dust. Everything around the brooder will have a thick layer of DE dust on it within hours of putting it in. I'm just trying to emphasize that in case you have, say, your homework sitting next to the brooder... Not that I would know anything about that from personal experience or anything... I've just heard. [​IMG]

10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Katie, your baby chicks really don't need anything but chick feed, fresh water, clean bedding and the appropriate warmth for their age. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by