when to give the boot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by green machine, Apr 5, 2012.

1. green machine

green machine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    I hatched chicks a week ago, its been pretty warm outside, When would it be considered safe to put them outside in their own caged area?

thanks for any advice

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Whenever they are fully feathered or if its about 80 degrees out and have a good bit of feathers they should be ok. My hen that hatched chicks had them out in the cool morning scratching around so they are hardier then we think.

3. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Well, you want the temperature to be about 90 degrees if they're only a week old then drop it by 5 degrees each week. I had problems following this though lol. I didn't do it exactly 5 degrees so I put our Polish outside at around 8 weeks although a mother hen would have booted them out much sooner. It really depends on the weather though if you feel it's warm enough and they aren't huddling in a ball when outside you should be good but I think one week is really early. Maybe just let them go outside for short little vacations until they're a few weeks older.

4. green machine

green machine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    ok so i should wait a few weeks then? its been in the low to mid 90s outside here, im in florida.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by