When to give treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HennaRose, Feb 12, 2015.

1. HennaRose

HennaRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    I'm hoping to get some of my more shy chickies to warm up to humans by offering fresh produce (greens, bell peppers, fresh berries, grapes?) when I go into the pen with them. My younger chicks are 10 days old (older chicks 17 days) and are eating commercial starter/grower. They have grit and plenty of water available. Is it safe to start giving them such treats yet?

2. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I started with mine at about 3 days old, as long as they have grit they should be ok, but I wouldn't introduce more than one food a day since it could be harder on their system only having had starter for a few weeks.
    They loooove worms! If it's warm enough to dig some from your garden it's hilarious to watch. Other than that, try to stick mostly to leafy greens, I find they don't overdo it and still eat enough if their commercial feed that way. Mine love spinach, kale, beet tops, mustard greens, dandelion, etc.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. HennaRose

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    Dang, I found some worms yesterday clearing out stuff behind the shed and didn't even think to grab any for the chicks! I'll be doing some digging this week getting the outdoor pen/run set up; if I come across any worms I'll bring some in for them.

4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I tame my chicks by hand feeding scrambled eggs. Even the shy ones will eventually grab a bite out of my hand. They grab the egg and run at first but but soon they won't leave until the egg is gone. A little messy for me but I love seeing them lose their fear of me. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. HennaRose

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    I gave the chicks a handful of baby spinach leaves.

SO. FUNNY.

Matilda (Australorp, shy-est baby of the bunch) grabbed a leaf bigger than her whole head and took off running with it to protect it from the other chicks. Sophie-chick (EE) would peck at a leaf and then chirp and jump back like she was scared of it. Rosie (RIR) picked leaves with long stems so she could stand on the stem and pick tiny bits off the leaf. Bianca (White Leghorn) would take little pieces and shake them around in the sand before eating them. Pedro (one of Aunt's BRs) stole pieces from other chicks. Vanessa (my brave-until-you-touch-her Black Star) actually ate out of my hand. One of Aunt's RIRs (the cousin in charge of those hasn't named them yet) stuck pieces in the feeder and then guarded it jealously.

There was much chirping and running around. Chickens are hilarious!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by