When to give up on eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loiseee, Sep 17, 2011.

1. loiseee

loiseee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
    I am very new to this hatching stuff so need advise. I have eggs I put in the bator, then into lockdown on the 10th, 1 egg hatched on the 11th, were to hatch on the 13th, but nothing since. One of the eggs I put in was to close to the thermomentor, so I did not open the lid which was what was advised not to do, but I finally broke down and the temp was down( by that thermometor) by a few degrees, so put in another one, turned it up just a tad to bring the temp back up. the older one is still at the lower temp, but the other one is at 99.5, so question is this, when do I toss the eggs as I am sure I killed them all:-(. I am so sad about this.
    Thanks

Lois

2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I have this delema now! I have three eggs that are looking like they won't hatch. I'm not sure how long to wait. I can't see any movement and I'm not sure about the water test.

3. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Have you candled the eggs to see if you see movement in them?. Being so many days over hatch day i would now carefully make a hole in the air cell and see whats going on, if you see any movement put it back in bator and wait, if you don't see movement then maybe open it further and see at what stage it died as it might help you with future hatches. Good luck and let us know what happens.

4. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Hi! I'm on day 23. I candled yesterday and didn't see any movement I will try this technique of looking in. Should I wait a few more days for this?

5. loiseee

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
    Thanks to all that replied. looks like they died about 1/2 way, about 3/4 was dark, but a very large air sack. I will try again later, just do not have the heart to do it again right now.[​IMG]

6. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well I will say don'tt let it discourage you. I have hatched 4 batches of eggs and number 5 is due to hatch monday. Out of 2 doz I had 2 hatch on my first batch. Then 4 on #2 and 8 on #3 then with number 4 had 15 hatch. There is a learning period even more so with a DIY bator. So don't give up keep learning.

7. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    reereechickens
    I would wait till day 25 just to be sure, if still nothing by then go ahead and open it carefully at the air cell end and look in. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  8. loiseee

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
    Thanks, today was day 25:(

9. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Quote:Thanks for the advice. Loisee thanks for this thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by