1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to give up on eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bugglesmommy, Feb 4, 2013.

1. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of the 6 eggs I had that were fertile, 1 hatched on day 22, the next hatched on day 23, but was seriously deformed, and the third hatched on day 24. It is now day 26 and the other eggs have not rocked, peeped, or indicated hatching at all. They were all alive before lockdown, but I'm wondering if I should call it on the last 3?

2. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    First candle the eggs and look for any movement - next open the eggs one by one - if the first one shows any signs of being alive, stop and give them a couple of days.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    Great information - just read through the link.
    I don't try to help (for the most part) I only open the eggs when I am 99% sure they have quit and died.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Great info! Unfortunately in the float test they ranked fully formed but did not move so I followed my gut and cracked the first which was dead. The second exploded when I cracked it and the third was also dead. What went wrong? 2/6 healthy, one deformed with a oversized bulbous head, twisted locked neck and twisted legs, 1 decayed and 2 formed but dead. This was my first hatch. Was it me or poor quality eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by