When to give up on hen laying an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Apocalypstick, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Apocalypstick

Apocalypstick Out Of The Brooder

I have a hen, Tikka Masala, I have no idea what breed she is... sex linked, isa brown or something. I have no idea. (Included a pic)

She's about 5 months old now, and has NEVER laid an egg. Our other chickens, one who I know to be within 2 weeks of age of Tikka, has laid an egg every day for the past 3-4 weeks. Tikka has no interest of going anywhere near the other two when they are laying. My other two hens, which are laying, lay at roughly the same time in the exact same area and our Black Australorp is REALLY REALLY LOUD when an egg is being laid (by either her or out other hen).

Being that Tikka is the same age as our other hens, how long should we give her before we give up on her ever laying?

Thanks in advance
    xx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry about the bum-end shot, she's very camera shy. The top photo was taken about 4 weeks ago, the bottom one is more recent (maybe 2 weeks).

2. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Some breeds take up to 24 weeks. Are they free range, she may have her own sneaky spot. When you go to pet her, does she squat? I read about squatting on here and when my chickens were laying, and when id go to touch them theyd squat, and when they took a brief winter break, i had no squatters, but now theyve started up strong, and all are squatting.

3. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    My birds are all same age, and i had 1 buff orp be the only one to lay at 18 weeks, then all my australorps and two buff orps total laying at 20 weeks, and took one orp until about 24 to start.

1 person likes this.
  4. Apocalypstick

She doesn't squat no. Most of the time she just runs away LOL

They are free-range, but we have a small yard so I don't know where she could possibly be laying if it's not where the others have laid.

We won't give up on her just yet, she may come good and surprise us all! :D

5. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Some ameraucanas take 30 weeks plus to brew up a first egg, Some other larger breeds longer.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    My EE is 31 weeks 4 days and still no egg. Just give her time. I have read on here that later layers will be healthier layers. Less issues. so look at it as a good thing.

1 person likes this.
  7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I WISH that 24 weeks was the latest that hens start to lay. I had a pair of dark brown Leghorns that were hatched April 2011 and laid their first egg in May 2012. They went away to Craigslist Land.

I currently have a group of EEs that were hatched mid April 2012. Out of 10 birds, perhaps four are laying.

24 weeks is a good average for very industrial breeds like Leghorns and sex links, but for heritage type breeds, waiting until 30-35 weeks is common.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Watch her comb and wattles. You didn't give us a head shot, but when it comes time for her to lay, they will get big and red pretty much over night.

9. Apocalypstick

SHE LAID!!!! Woo hoo, Tikka actually laid an egg today!
    It's very small, and a bit bumpy and odd coloured, but it's an egg and it's her first.
    So proud of my girl *squee*

10. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Congrats!![​IMG] thats awesome!! I am still waiting on my EE pullet she is 32 weeks 6 days today and again no egg from her today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by