When to "give up" on the egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlels, Nov 20, 2011.

1. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    This is our first hatch and we have a Hovabator 1588. 8 of our chicks hatched anywhere from 18-21. We have 1 egg that still hasn't hatched as of today. We did put that egg in the next morning after the other eggs had been in the bator, so technically for THAT egg, it is day 23. When I candled it all I could see was black with the air sac tilted at the top. It is a Black Copper Marans egg (I don't know if they breed makes a difference). Since the other had been born so many days prior, we quickly took out the other chicks to move them to the brooder and then left this one in the bator by himself. When we moved the other chicks out, I stayed at the bator and made sure that the humidity went back up right away and it did so the egg really wasn't without the humidity for more than 1 minute tops (I am sure it wasn't even that long, but I am estimating). We haven't heard any noise, no pips, etc...

How long do we wait on this guy? Could something have happened to him? Anyway to tell if he's still alive? I keep checking humidity and pips and nothing.

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I would wait a little longer just in case [​IMG]

But then, I don't know anything [​IMG]

3. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    I wish I could help..this is my first hatch too, and I was a nervous wreak! I feel like Birdies, I don't know anything. I would wait it out though because some will be completly silent and still then boom they hatch. Do you see any sort of internal pip into the air cell? yesterday my air cells had dropped on one side..so yours sound normal. Then again I really don't know for fact. I hope someone can help you better!

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Generally you should wait 5-7 days after the 21st day of incubation. If nothing by then, it's almost sertain
    it's dead, and not going to hatch. You could do a float test on the egg to find out if it's still alive. Like Jewels
    said, when you candle, are you seeing the beak pipped into the air sac? It should look like a pin point.
    Heres a link on how to do the float test
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383525

Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  5. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    I appreciate the help. That float test sounds interesting....maybe we will try that today. I had no idea that it could take some eggs 5-7 days longer....it seems like such a long time when the whole process from beginning to end is normally only 21 days.

6. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Not to make you worry more... But

Usually it's very rare for them to hatch if they don't hatch on the 22nd - 23rd day
    unless there were temp. fluctuations during the incubation process. The extra 3-4 days
    are only to be absolutely sure. I've had ONE chick hatch on the 27th day of incubation
    before, believe it or not. The thermometer was reading perfect the whole incubation,
    but the temperature was ACTUALLY in the 80's. [​IMG] so, I found that out around the 16th
    day. Cold temps. cause the chick to develop slower, therefore hatch later.

Hope your baby hatches [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    The eggs are very dark and hard to see thru. But can you see if the chick has broken thru the air cell?

I will tell you what I have done and sometimes I save a chick, some times not. I'm sharing my experience; you are welcome to try it if you wish.THe best results have been if the chick has broken thru the air cell and pipped but not zipped. THe last one had pipped but its back was glued to the membrane and couldn't twist to zip.

Help the chick to hatch. I open going thru the top, into the air cell or start on the side, very carefully breaking away the shell looking for the red veins. If veins visible stop and wait for them to be absorbed.

Do a google search for the instructions on doing this. they are very detailed. I will try to find the link. Here is one.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=478109

pete55 also has a good one. Sorry my search button isn't working.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  8. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    I did the floating test and it came back that the chick is alive or at least the air cell isn't depleted since that is what was above water. The air cell isn't broken, but he could still be dead couldn't he? The more I thought about the test, the more I wondered about the validity of the "alive" part just because of that....anyone have any experience with the test saying the chick is alive and really it is not, it just didn't break the air cell?

Before doing the water test, I checked it over very carefully and no pips, no noise, again, nothing...

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Some just don't make thru the whole process and finish with a hatchling. My hens and I usually have 2-3 eggs that don't hatch. Hope is a wonderful thing. . . I wait and leave the eggs in the incubator for many days after the expected hatch date. [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by