When to give up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Apriljc, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Apriljc

Apriljc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    2 chicken eggs. Set 8pm on April 3. Yesterday one chirped on and off for a few hours (very small air space) the other had good draw down but no chirp. Today, no sounds so far from either. Temp was low during Inc so I am expecting a late hatch- but how late? When do I give up?

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    I would go ahead and take them out. Candle them and see what is going on. Any signs of life, put them back in. With low temps you could have a late hatch, but if they were low the whole time it's possible that the chicks are to weak to hatch.

3. Apriljc

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:I candled them. I am not seeing movement. They do look different from when I last looked. The one with the small air space still hass the air space despite chirping--he hasn't filled it--the other one looks like the air space is a blanket. With curves and what not around it's body. Do they reduce moment prior to hatching? I dont know what to think....

4. Apriljc

Apr 14, 2011
    Any other thoughts?

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Apriljc

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:Thanks. The eggs turned 22 days old last night. The temP was low so I think I will wait another day before the float test.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by