When to give up.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by branston, Dec 17, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    My Silkie hen Big Mama has been sat on 7 eggs for over 21 days. She had one chick hatch successfully on the 14th but the other 6 eggs haven't hatched yet? I didn't want to interfere too much this time (last time, I brought her and her two eggs into my dining room under a lamp in a wire dog crate) so I decided to leave her in the coop. I had to put her and her eggs back in the dog crate (in the coop) because the other hens kept popping their eggs under her too (either that or Big Mama was going around collecting everyones eggs? Originally, she had two of her own eggs under her). I also have a heat lamp in the coop. I know the others layed their eggs on different days but how long should I leave her sitting on these eggs? Will she know if they aren't going to hatch and abandon them? Or will she just sit on them forever? I plan on leaving her with them for at least another week but I figure after that time has passed, the eggs aren't fertile?

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Usually a hen will abandon any remaining eggs 2-3 days after a chick hatches. So she could get
    off of them anytime now. They may not necessarily be infertile (I think they would stink by now)
    They probably just didn't make it to hatch. Just to answer your question, I always give my eggs
    'till the 26th day of incubation before throwing them out. I'd candle them and possibly do a float
    test, if you're interested in doing so.

Since it's been three days since the first chick hatched and she's still on the eggs, I'd be sure
    there is food and water close for the baby.

Performing a Float Test

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    She wanted to get out of the crate this morning so I let her out. She left the chick and the eggs for 10 minutes and then wanted back in asap

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    I personally would remove and candle all the eggs. Any that show signs of life can be put back underneath
    her, and you can perform a 'eggtopsy' or throw out the eggs that are dead. Like I said, be sure food and
    water is available for the chick since she's not getting off of the nest.

Good luck

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I would say it give it a few more days. Goodluck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by