when to go from paper towels/towels to wood shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sharol, Jul 17, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I have seven 5-6 day old chicks that have been living on a white bath towel over wood shavings. I can't remember how long I need to keep using the towel to keep them from eating the shavings, and I can't find the info through search. Could someone remind me? I think I remember that the op of the article said he/she used the towels for only a few days, but that was weeks ago.

These are my babies (yesterday) at 4-5 days (hatched overnight Sunday according to MPC).

[​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I use paper towels for a week and then switch over to pine shavings. Cute babies!

3. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    The one on the far right (you can only see her butt) already has tail feathers.

[​IMG]

I had no idea they would sprout this quickly.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I've never used towels, just started them out on pine shavings. If you don't start the chicks out on a rough walking surface, they can get deformed toes/feet.

5. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    I use paper towels for 2 days- just till they figure out what food looks like!

6. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    I use paper towels over top of shavings. They have a ball with the shavings in their "holding tank" while I am changing the paper towels(once a day). But I have mine inside, and shaving create much more dust. They still find a few shavings under the edge of the paper towels. Mine will be three weeks on Monday.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:I used them for 3 days but 2 would have been just fine. Its sooooooooooooo much cleaner when you swith to shavings...

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I did em for two days. They are all on shavings now and are doing fine at 6 days old. I am proud of my chickies/keets - they even used the nipple waterers right out of the egg! [​IMG]

9. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Thanks everyone for the input. I'll get rid of the coverings on the shavings later today. I have been putting a bath towel over the shavings and then paper towels in the areas where they seem to congregate (near the cardboard they like to peck, for instance) so that I can clean it easier. I'll be really glad to be rid of the towels.

My girls are inside, too.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have 45 birds in a huge brooder inside (!!!) and I gave up on the paper towels after two days. Just too messy and gross. The food is disappearing at an alarming rate, so they can't be eating THAT much pine. And it's SO much cleaner with shavings! Yep, I'll have dust. But I hope to get them in my larger outside brooder in a few weeks - plus I am craigslisting 20 of the birds so if they are gone, that will help. I could not keep up with the paper towels when I only had 8 birds, but with 45 it's impossible IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by