when to go into coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mystang89, Sep 13, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I have 7 two week old white leghorn hens. The temp gets down to about 50 at night. I know they aren't fully feathered right now but I want to be prepared for when I can take them out of the brooder and put them in the coop.

2. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Just from reading a ton of info here on BYC I would say put them out and use a red lamp in the evening for a couple weeks. Hopefully someone with expertise will respond soon [​IMG]
    I have chicks coming soon, and by the time mine are ready to go out it will be 50's day time and 30 evenings, my plan is to put them out with a red light, I am sure I will be nervous....

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's time!!![​IMG]

At 7 weeks, they certainly can go into the coop. I normally put my young chicks out at 5 weeks, but then, I brood in the barn. I just move them to their grow out pen. I do run a lamp, at night only, to help them adjust, to wean them off the heat source. I raise it higher than usual. I find that after a few nights, they are just fine. 50's isn't that cold to a chicken. They just need 3-5 days to make an adjustment, that's all. They'll love having more room in their new home.

4. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I'd put them out too. Mine went out at 5wks and since it was the middle of the summer I wasn't worried. I also kept them locked in the coop for 3 days so they would learn that that was their home, so that gave them a few days to adjust to living without the red lamp. If you close all the doors up and keep drafts to a minimum, they will be fine.

Whoops![​IMG] Guess I didn't read carefully enough...cut me some slack I just got the kids off to school and haven't turned into me yet. If they are 2 week olds, I'd def leave them inside longer. Just another 2 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  5. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    7 as in quantity, age of two weeks.

Mine go out as soon as they feather or the temps will bear it. 7 of them will huddle in a nesting box and be plenty warm but 2 weeks IMO is a bit early. 4 weeks they would be out if they were mine.

6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Nice catch! I read it as 7 weeks, but it's 7 two week olds!!

Thats' a different story altogether eh?

7. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to be keeping them in the brooder box for a couple more weeks but from the info you all have given me I will be putting them out when they are 5 - 7 weeks old. I have been trying to get my other two leghorns who are 10 months old used to them so hopefully by that time they won't have a problem.

8. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    This is a 7 weekish RIR that has been out since I got them 2 weeks ago, and they were free ranging and out for weeks before that BUT......the temps were 90+ during the day and low 70' s at night. There are 3 much younger Guinea keets with them and they are all fine and well.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by