When to go outside in WA?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FirewifeJess, Apr 19, 2012.

1. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    I live in cloudy rainy WA state and I was wondering when I can start taking my girls outside, and for how long? The weather is quite sporadic right now and of course I'll wait for a sunny time, not rain or wind, but if they're 3 weeks old, feathering nicely but not fully feathered, and the temps are only in the high 50s to mid 60s, when can we go out and for how long?

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Three weeks old should be fine for going outside. We used to let our chicks outside for perhaps half the day when they were that old, but it is rather warm here.
    at first I'd say you should watch them carefully, and make sure they aren't acting cold. If they seem okay you can leave them to it for a while longer.

3. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I'm in WA too and while it's raining out right now, they're forecasting upper 70's this weekend!!!! I can't wait to take the babies out and let them do a little exploring.

4. lindseyloo

lindseyloo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Western Washington
    Hi! I am also in Washington, and have 3 week old Buff and Lavender Orpingtons. They haven't ventured outside yet as they are just freshly 3 weeks old. Are these your first chicks? Hopefully this weekend I will make an outside pen for them and get to watch them scavange the ground like crazy!

5. yakibert

yakibert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Whidbey Island, Wa
    When ours were 3 wks, we took them outside and let them roam while we were sitting on the grass. I waited til the afternoon when the dew was gone, so the chicks would stay dry. They would roam about a bit but mostly stay close by. I think the temps were in the upper 50s. I think we only let them stay out for about 30 to 45 mins. ...they were pleased to be out but we didn't want them getting too cold. You'll be fine and it's a blast watching them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Lindseyloo-I don't know if you were asking me or not, but these are not my first chicks, although they might be my favorites (shh-don't tell the older girls lol). I kept these ones in the house a little longer before moving them into the garage than in previous years so I think they love me more [​IMG] In another week I'm going to move their coop outside next to the existing coop/run so they can start to get to know the older hens before letting them intermingle.

Congrats on your babies- I looked for Lavender Orpingtons, but wasn't able to find any for some reason.

7. lindseyloo

lindseyloo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Western Washington
    Oh it was for anyone [​IMG] I got my Lavenders from a guy in the Tacoma/Puyallup area. Apparently I got on the band wagon just in time because a week later when my chicks were hatched he said that the waiting list was 60-75 chicks long. And, I'm pretty sure he didn't have a conveyer of chicks coming out, so my guess is it will be a while for those chicks to be hatched. They are pretty little things, and very friendly.

8. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Thanks for the replies, Ican't wait to get them outside on Sunday! We are too busy tomorrow to do so :( I got all of my chicks either at Reber Ranch in Kent or Seattle Farm Supply. They are my first chicks and I'm loving it, but they seem to keep having issues and I can't figure out why. First pasty bum, then some sneezing, and now I'm seeing very foamy poop and it's super foul smelling. Now I'm back to find out if they need some antibiotics or what?! ugh. I just want them all to be healthy and happy and don't know why we are having issues as I'm very diligent in keeping their water clean and full, food full and grit provided, and even treats of worms and some veggies. So now I have to google "Chicken Poop" [​IMG] and see what comes up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by